We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Wakikii, Maui & Island of Hawaii

Cheshire...
Level Contributor
374 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in Wakikii, Maui & Island of Hawaii

In doing hotel searches for the above places it seems that hotel proces are all over the place (anywhere between $100 and $1000/night).

Can I reasonably expect to find a clean, decent, well-located hotel in these places for $250/night or am I dreaming?

I don't need a resort but just a nice clean hotel in the better areas on the islands.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
627 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in Wakikii, Maui & Island of Hawaii

We visited all three islands last summer. After much research and price shopping, we ended up at:

Outrigger on the Beach at Waikiki ($245/night) - nice hotel; great location.

Sheraton Keauhou on the BI ($200/night) - great hotel; no beach; cool pool; good location.

Maui Eldorado ($250/night) - condo - pretty nice - good location - not on the beach but near Ka'anapli.

Look at hotel reviews on this forum and shop around prices. In Maui, when I was looking, most places were give 5th night free, which brought down the average price. And of course, anything on the beach is going to be $$$.

Good Luck, MG

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,631 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in Wakikii, Maui & Island of Hawaii

If you don't need room service...there are many nice resort condos on all the islands. You'd have more space, two baths, a private lanai, a kitchen (whether you used it to cook or not). Eating every meal 'out' is expensive, as are drinks. Just an idea -- if you want 'hotel', you want it!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in Wakikii, Maui & Island of Hawaii

Are you looking for oceanfront? Do you care if there is a beach in front or just ocean? Pool? When are you going? How long on each island? Condo a possibility? Answer some of these basic questions and it will help us with suggestions.

Cheshire...
Level Contributor
374 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels in Wakikii, Maui & Island of Hawaii

Condos could work for us. I just want to know what I'm getting into. For example, I was reading a TA review this morning where the person complained they had to bring their own toilet paper, etc.

We're not slobs so I don't need maid service every day but I'm not flying 6,000 miles and bringing my own TP.

Oceanfront isn't necessary, but a reasnoable walk to a nice beach would be good.

A pool isn't a requirement but if there's one at the hotel I wouldn't ccomplain either.

I'm looking at going in mid-May for probably 10-11 nights. Maybe a day or two in Wakikii, a week or so in Maui and the rest of the time on Hawaii. But that's up in the air based on what I learn there is to do in each place.

MartyGirl, how long did you spend in each place and was it sufficient?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,631 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels in Wakikii, Maui & Island of Hawaii

I'd stick to two islands for a stay of ten nights unless you've already been, seen, 'done' one of the islands. I'd skip Big Island as a 'third' island -- it's huge and takes much more time to tour. (Well worth it, but you need TIME. If you want to see it, make that your second of two.)

The islands are close together and flight times are short, but every 'hop' ends up eating half a day due to security, luggage, renting another car, etc.

I'm hysterical over the TP quote! Never heard that one. We own a condo on Maui. It's pretty typical in that every guest has a starter package of soaps (dishwasher, hand, bath, washer), paper towels, garbage liners, etc. -- including plenty of TP. Most resort condos have everything a hotel has: landscaped grounds, pools, tennis, hot tubs, front desk. Really everything except a restaurant on site. Maid service can be arranged or is included daily at some. You can rent through an agency or online by accessing vrbo.com

New Jersey
Level Contributor
627 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels in Wakikii, Maui & Island of Hawaii

I was traveling with my two sons, ages 12 & 13, who are pretty seasoned travelers and we travel light.

We fly from the East Coast to Oahu. We spent three nights in Waikiki. Day one was spent traveling. Day two was spent vegging on the beach and recovering - although we did climb Diamonhead that morning. Day three we rented a car and did the cirle the island tour including Pearl Harbor and the North Shore Beaches.

I loved Oahu but I'm a city person. I would love to return to Oahu for a longer stay.

We had three nights on the Big Island. We flew into Hilo (early am flight). We picked up the car and went to VNP and hit the major highlights. The lava was not flowing so we did not do chain of crater road. Spent one night in Hilo at the Castle Hilo Hawaiian which was ok for one night but as bad as the reviews say it is.

The next day, we drove north, checking out the falls and some beaches on the way, ending a long day of driving in Keauhou Bay for two nights at the Sheraton. Snorkeled the next day - dinner out in Kona that night. The next day, headed to the airport for an early afternoon flight to Maui out of Kona airport.

I liked the BI - lots to see but distances are great and traffic horrible on Kona side. The best beach we saw the entire trip was at Mauna Kea. Fabulous. Snorkeling was fantastic. Went to the BI because the kids HAD to see the volcano but I would love to return if I had more time to explore.

We had five nights on Maui at the Maui Eldorado Condos. Honestly, Maui was beautiful but I guess because we were there five days, would be my last choice to return. We spent alot of time laying on the beach and snorkeling - ziplined - but didn't explore too much. We may just have been a bit burnt out on traveling at that point & it was relaxation time.

So, 3 nights Oahu, 3 nights BI, and 5 nights Maui. I wouldn't do anything less than three nights an island given the travel times. And we were lucky and weren't delayed too much on any of our interisland flight - and we travel light. But I figured since this was our first trip, we tried to see a little of everything.

Good luck - MG

Cheshire...
Level Contributor
374 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels in Wakikii, Maui & Island of Hawaii

Your itinerary is pretty much what I had in mind without having done much research.

Several people have said they wouldn't spend much time on Oahu because its just a big city that happens to be on the beach. However I'm not sure that's exactly a bad thing. Is the city itself walkable?

I expect the first day to be a complete waste because I'll be shot from traveling.

Assuming that I stick roughly to that itinerary, I guess the next thing to do is narrow down exactly where on each island I want to stay.

I saw that Outrigger place got good reviews on TA and seems to be in my price range.

Some of the "condos" I was looking at on TA were not privately owned condos for rent but more like condo-style hotels (i.e. include kitchens).

Cheshire...
Level Contributor
374 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels in Wakikii, Maui & Island of Hawaii

And one more thing... Is it true that some (many?) hotels don't have AC?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,631 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels in Wakikii, Maui & Island of Hawaii

I would not stay anywhere in Hawaii (except possibly high elevations) that didn't have the A/C option -- not at any time of year. We are on Maui the month of February and have always used our A/C at least once, especially when we first arrive and are not acclimated.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,631 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels in Wakikii, Maui & Island of Hawaii

I think you will be spending a lot more and end up exhausted rather than refreshed if you hop to three islands on this trip. Would you consider a one-week cruise plus a few nights before or after on Oahu?

Oahu is a beautiful island. Only part of it is the City of Honolulu. Once you get out of the city, there's plenty of TT (Typically Tropical) to enjoy.