We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats going on with Hawaiian airfares

CA
Level Contributor
43 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Whats going on with Hawaiian airfares

We go to Hawaii in the summer quite often and I have never seen airfares so high for this timeframe. Whats going on and do you think they come down at all in the near future? I'm getting quotes to Kauai for 800+ and we typically pay in the 500's for summer.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats going on with Hawaiian airfares

Fuel costs.

Are you looking at Hawaiian Airlines? (Where in CA do you live?)

Cleburne, Texas
Level Contributor
401 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats going on with Hawaiian airfares

WIth oil prices hanging right around $100/barrel, there probably won't be too many discount prices any time soon and with summer time driving coming up, some economists are saying that oil could approach $120/barrel which will make ticket prices possibly go even higher.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats going on with Hawaiian airfares

I agree its oil....and also the airlines have actualy cut the number of seats to Hawaii to insure all flights go out at 99% full or better... and in addition cutting the number of discount seats I am told too....supply and demand.

American quietly added several rows and cut several non-stops and in the smallest plane possible... Heck several airlines are now running little 737s ...the commuter jet.. to hawaii 5.5 hours in the air

The old lets wait for the fare war is not going to happen...the airlines are tired of loosing money and Hawaii is deemed a luxury destination...and partonized by people with extra money....and they want it.

Even interisland fares have almost doubled in the past few months from $19 and $29 to $50 each way

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats going on with Hawaiian airfares

I've been watching summer airfares to Hawaii, as well. I haven't booked yet, but I've seen a $450 fare here and there, including taxes. Would you book that price if you were me? It's such a crap shoot.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats going on with Hawaiian airfares

We have booked a family vacation...hubbie and I booked for $445 each from Seattle to Kahalui In June...2 sets of kids booked in Sept for just under $500 each...youngest booked in Jan. for about $650 and got one of the last 3 seats.

OK..we only fly Hawaiian, but you can see it makes a difference if you book ahead.

Yes oil prices are affecting ALL of our travel plans...don't start me on politics! HA

The only time it kicked us here was when Alaska ran their $150 roundtrip fare and Hawaiian tried to match it! That ticked me off..they wouldn't give us the new fares. Live and learn. But I still make reservations way out. Mostly cuz the direct flights fill up!

6. Re: Whats going on with Hawaiian airfares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 10:21