We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smith's or Old Lahaina? and are there "show only" places?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,020 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Smith's or Old Lahaina? and are there "show only" places?

I've read lots of TA posts and have narrowed my luau choices to either Smith's or Old Lahaina. Some of the posts were from 2005 and 2006 so I'm posting this again in hopes of getting some recent feedback. (and yes, I know about the lack of a fire knife dancer and don't think we'll be disappointed without it) My husband is most interested in which has better food, and I am more interested in the setting, the ambience, and the show. I'm sure that either one would be a good choice...should I just flip a coin?

Also, it seems that I read somewhere that at some of the hotel luaus, people can watch the show from the lawn if they aren't eating/drinking. Does anyone know about that?

Thanks!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,020 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smith's or Old Lahaina? and are there "show only" places?

No help?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,217 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smith's or Old Lahaina? and are there "show only" places?

OLL is more polished; Smith's has more down-home charm. Food is good at both; flip a coin.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,020 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smith's or Old Lahaina? and are there "show only" places?

Thanks, pzp! That's the best, most succinct review and comparison I've read.

sedona
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smith's or Old Lahaina? and are there "show only" places?

Hi

While I have not attended Smith luau I typically do a luau anytime I visit Hawaii. I can tell you 'hands down' that Old Lahaina Luau is the best luau on any of the islands. The show, food, drinks, lei greeting and service all get at 10's! I remember seating based on first come via reservations made. I made ours maybe 6+ months out and had front row seating at a table. There were tables closer but you needed to sit on the ground not on chairs. There were several spots prior to the start of dinner with staged areas for photos to be taken. We did about 3 of them and after the show had a chance to purchase. The decision was hard because they all turned out so well. Also we were celebrating our son's 21st birthday and my other son/wife's 3rd wedding anniversary. Both of which were printed on our program. Very nice personal touch.

So with that being said....make your reservation ASAP and you won't be disappointed. :-)

Sedona Brenda

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Smith's or Old Lahaina? and are there "show only" places?

aloha misspwest~

I've been to both within the last five years. Old Lahaina Luau, I think, is nicer. Just my opinion, don't want to offend. Smiths is also a great deal of fun and actually, the seating is probably better for the show. But you mention ambiance, and I think OLL has that hands down over Smiths.

One other thing ~ you CAN go to just the show at Smiths. I don't think you can with Old Lahaina Luau, and parking at OLL can be nasty.

Still that being said, I'd choose OLL for my first luau.

jc

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,153 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Smith's or Old Lahaina? and are there "show only" places?

Pick one with a fire knife dancer & the Polynesian revue. They are much more entertaining.

You can get show only tickets for Royal Lahaina Luau.

7. Re: Smith's or Old Lahaina? and are there "show only" places?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 13:16