We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary

Buffalo, Missouri
Level Contributor
91 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Itinerary

Here's who we are, Mid 50's couple--- sold our organic farm a few years back. We like to travel off the beaten path and splurge once or twice during a vacation. Reasonably fit and enjoy dayhiking and other outdoor activities. We're planning on coming May 30-June 6.

We love to run into local festivities and we're not big on giant expensive hotels or resorts.

The only set plan we have in mind is to do the Wild Side "Best of the West Tour" on Oahu. We'd like to get a feel for the Islands without being rushed, so probably only Oahu for a couple of days and the rest of the time on one of the other islands---that's where your help is needed.

I love to help people on TripAdvisor and now I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Itinerary

Well, we are all biased here on the forums with our favorite islands. How much is the "rest of your time" - do you have a week or more?? A good rule of thumb is one week per island, so maybe spend about 3 days on Oahu, and then I would suggest Kauai. Go stay on the Northshore of Kauai - late May/early June is perfect then. You can't beat the scenery or the gentle aloha of that island. Beautiful beaches, lots of hiking, rivers to kayak, etc. Hop on to that forum for more info as well as check out this link: http://www.kauaivisitorsbureau.com/ :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,407 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Itinerary

The Best of the West tour is fantastic, I've done it and had a great time. If you are interested in snorkeling or diving though, the best to be had is on the island of Hawaii and Maui. I don't think you have enough time to do Hawaii justice due to it's size so a trip to Maui may be in order. I love both Maui and Kauai. It's so hard to choose between the two. Often times I suggest flipping a coin!! Maui is a cross between Kauai and Oahu. Lots of ocean activities, restraurants and beautiful scenery. Kauai is more rural with great hiking, kayaking rivers, beautiful scenery and really laid back.

Do a little more research to which you would like and come back and let us know what you have decided. Then we can help you plan your trip from there!!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Itinerary

How much do you want to spend on a place to stay,we stay at a small older hotel when on Oahu in Waikiki called the Royal Grove definitely not much on decor kinda kitschy 70's style but clean and very centrally located and the best part very cheap by Waikiki standards you can check ou their wbsite.

www.royalgrovehotel.com

The farmers market at Kaliolani Community College on saturday mornings is great lots of different vendors lots of great food.

As far as a different island I will be going to Kauai for my first visit in may and of course Oahu too but from your description Of yourselves I would say Kauai or the Big Island would be more to your liking. We are staying at a condo on Kauai on the east side in Wailua, it is pretty reasonable here is the VRBO # it is available during your time frame.

www.vrbo.com/54674

you should also look at staying on the north shore very beautiful up there that time of year. I picked that condo because of the deal for staying a week and figured being in the middle on the east side we could do day trips north and south on the island. We are not big resort types either like smaller places feels more personal.

Aloha Marie

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,453 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Itinerary

Lots of info including sites with free brochures.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

On the Hawaii forum, on the left of the page, click on things like Before You Go, Things To Do, Restaurants. They are written by forum members.

Do the same for the Oahu Forum (and the forums for each of the other islands)

Buffalo, Missouri
Level Contributor
91 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Itinerary

Wow, these are really quick responses, thank you so much. I'm especially impressed with the info on the Royal Grove, that's the kind of stuff you can only find here. We will be staying on Oahu for our first 3 days. No one seems to be suggesting the Big Island, any particular reasons for this? It seems a shame come to Hawaii and not see an active volcano, not to mention not paying our respects to Pele.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Itinerary

Get Hawaii For Dummies..... a map and read it.

Hawaii is not a wild un developed oaisis in the pacfic... where you can freely explore, and mingle with happy friendly natives.... Its a highly developed commercial vacation destination.. a lot of locals want privacy when not working in visitor related service jobs..... they want to be left alone.... not hang out with tourists.

Search from of the topics... such as local Antisomosity from locals... presently up.

Also on camping too..... that will get you better informed...

I would suggest Kauai for Hiking and raw landscape with a rural/ developed mix

I would suggest Big Island, for Snorkeling its volcano national parks, and rain forests. with even more rural than Kauai... But hiking out of the national park in not advised due to land issues.. and private enclaves that want to be left alone.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Itinerary

Well, you really don't have enough time to explore the Big Island unless you extend your vacation quite a bit. That is probably one reason why no one has recommended it. As well, you can't always see active volcano flow . . . with what you did share, Kauai does seem like a good fit. You can always come back to Hawaii and visit the Big Island. :)

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Itinerary

Well you could go to the Big Island and maybe just do the east side/Hilo area and visit VNP.

I did a lot of research because I wasn't sure which other island I wanted to visit besides Oahu in may.

Here's some places I looked at for accomodations.

www.dolphinbayhotel.com in Hilo

www.bayhousehawaii.com b&b in Hilo

www.halekaihawaii.com b&b in Hilo

www.volcanoplaces.com known as Kate's Volcano Cottages in near VNP

Saw this house rental listed by someone who posts a lot they stayed here and I think it looks awesome for the price. I saved it to my hawaii file because next trip who knows which island we will decide on. It's 20 min south of Hilo in Hawaiian Paradise Park subdivision between Kea'au and Pahoa.

www.greatrentals.com/rental-property/p301862

Marie

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Itinerary

Unless you have at least a week to devote to the Big Island you will just be frustrated, my son and his wife did that last year (3 days) fell in love with it and are panting to go back. It is BIG, raw and it is gorgeous and very, very different. Depending on your time frame look at Kauai and Maui, still gorgeous, but more "contained" and easier to explore.

Have fun planning!

10. Re: Help with Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 01:19