We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaui or Big Island?

Tampa
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Kaui or Big Island?

We are going to Maui for a few days and can't decide between BI or Kaui after that. Its our honeymoon and I've heard Kaui is very romantic but that BI has lots to do as far as adventure. We love to hike and I hear the volcano on BI is amazing. If you had 5 days where would you go? Pros, cons?

Thanks!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,853 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaui or Big Island?

Aloha! Well, as you will probably notice, everyone has their "favorite" island in Hawaii. I would say go to Kauai - it's has absolutely stunning natural scenery - the Napali Coast, the Waimea Canyon, Kokee State Park, waterfalls, beaches, and that lush green scenery I think people expect of Hawaii. You could have tons of places to hike on Kauai, but alas, no active volcanos. You can see Haleakala while in Maui - would that be enough? Maybe that will help you decide - good luck! :)

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaui or Big Island?

Wonderful and very actives vacations can be had on either island. Kauai is very small and compact--don't have to spend much time in the car, which is an advantage as far as I am concerned. It was more cloudy and rainy than the west side of the Big Island on both of our trips, but we didn't mind too much. We love both islands, either one will be great for a honeymoon, but the BI is much larger and distances are much greater between some of the "must see" spots. You won't go wrong with either choice, but will probably have more "down time" and less road travel on Kauai. On our last trip we spent 15 days on the Big Island, were very busy throughout, and still didn't see everything we wanted to...if that helps. Either way, have a wonderful time!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
26,711 posts
5,781 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaui or Big Island?

Since you're going to Maui, I'd then say go to Big Island Volcano Area. Its amazing and worth the trip! Since you love to hike, its the place to go!