We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to worry about handicap tag being stolen?

TN
Level Contributor
508 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need to worry about handicap tag being stolen?

I'll be visiting Hawaii with my mother in a few weeks. When my husband and I are in Hawaii we typically rent a Jeep Wrangler so we can remove the sides and back window. I was considering renting a jeep on this trip as well but wondering if we should worry about my mother's handicap tag being stolen. If so I will probably rent something that we can close and lock. Any advice? Thanks!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,793 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to worry about handicap tag being stolen?

I have doubts that a handicap tag would be stolen, but who knows? Jeep Wranglers yell TOURIST!!! which may make theft more likely. I guess you could try hiding it somewhere.

For sure you won't be able to leave ANYTHING else in a jeep, certainly not with the sides removed. Also, sudden rain showers are typical here; you may have to deal with that.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,740 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to worry about handicap tag being stolen?

Other than hotel lots and shopping centers, ans maybe some beach parks, a lot of places you will not be seeing any "HANDICAP ONLY" spaces because there are just pullouts by the road. SO in those spots you don't need to show the tag and can take it with you!

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to worry about handicap tag being stolen?

yes the tag will most likely be taken just like on the mainland if the windows/top are left down

i personally would pass on the jeep if only for the comfort of your mother

4. Re: Do I need to worry about handicap tag being stolen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2010, 06:16