We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideal Honeymoon??

wales
9 posts
Save Topic
Ideal Honeymoon??

Hi all,

I'm getting married in late August 2010 and therefore looking to arrange our Honeymoon for the beginning of September. We are both in our late twenties and looking for a stay of luxury. We like to go out and have a good time at the bars and clubs but also appreciate a relaxing night in. We are looking for a spot of beauty as most people do when they book their honeymoon. We both love nothing more than to relax all day by the pool and occasionally on the beach, can anyone think of the ideal location/island/hotel for me and my partner to enjoy??

We've been looking at the Maldives, Mauritius and Seychelles for example, as we looking to make it a truly special trip and were just wondering what people's general thoughts were on Hawaii as a destination and what parts would be best suited to us.

Hopefully there's enough info there for people to make some suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Rob

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideal Honeymoon??

The only real island with clubs is Oahu. Maui has some bars both in Kihei and Lahaina. Lahaina is generally thought of as where the nightlife is on Maui, although in comparison to Oahu it is pretty tame.

Kauai and the Big Island would probably be too quiet for you. I'm hesitant to recommend Oahu because of the population and where the majority of the hotels are located...but Turtle Bay would be an excellent choice to stay at.

Maui would be my top recommendation. Stay in Kaanapali if you want to be closer to what nightlife there is, although south Maui particularly Wailea are where the absolute top resorts are (besides the Ritz located in Kapalua).

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,204 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideal Honeymoon??

yep - while Maui might not have enough clubs, it has all the other requirements - I think if you decide on Hawaii, stay on Maui. :)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,047 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideal Honeymoon??

If a lot of night life is important, I'd stay at one of the luxury hotels on Waikiki: Princess Kaiulani, Royal Hawaiian, The Moana -- and there are others.

If you want more peace and great beaches, but still some restaurants and bars, and you want luxury... Four seasons or Fairmont in Wailea on Maui.

If the hotel doesn't have to be quite as luxe and you want more of a party atmosphere...Sheraton in Kaanapali on Maui.

Do you have enough time to make the long trip worthwhile? If you can stay ten nights you could combine Waikiki with Maui. In that case, try to fly from the mainland USA into one island and back from the second one.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideal Honeymoon??

ChiSue-

Princess Kaiulani is far from a luxury hotel.

The royal hawaii and Moana definitely are...so is the Halekulani and probably is the most luxurious of the 3.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,507 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideal Honeymoon??

I would agree with the others - Waikiki if nightlife is a priority. Beautiful hotels to choose from - and I agree, Halekulani, the Royal Hawaiian and the Moana Surfrider are best for honeymooners.

If you have 9 or 10 nights, by all means split your trip 1/2 and 1/2 between Maui and Oahu/Waikiki. On Maui, I would suggest the Sheraton Maui or the Hyatt. They are both on Ka'anapali with some nightlife -- and about 5 miles from Lahaina ... which is much livlier.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,047 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideal Honeymoon??

Sorry. Brain cramp!

wales
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideal Honeymoon??

Thanks for the replies. The nightlife is not a neccessity, we just like to go out occasionally, so we just wouldn't want to go to somewhere that was dead quiet with nothing going on at night. As long as there's a couple of bars thats fine.

Rob

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,047 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideal Honeymoon??

All right, that opens it up a lot. Neither Kauai nor Big Island sound right, but Maui would be a good fit. It has the widest choice of lodging, restaurants and bars outside of Honolulu, but it's a lot quieter than Waikiki.

Kaanapali/Lahaina has the most 'buzz' and several nice hotels. That's in West Maui. There are also good choices in Wailea in South Maui where you find more luxe hotels: Four Seasons and Fairmont Kea Lani are the best, with 4S being famous for its service. There are four multi-star hotels in the area and an open air upscale mall, Shops At Wailea. There are restaurants and bars (and spas) in the hotels and more at Shops. The town of Kihei is nearby with some smaller shops, restaurants and bars.

Maui is a beautiful island with interesting sights: the quiet volcano, Haleakala; the eerie Iao Valley; the 'Road to Hana', Maui's most heavily tropical area. There are lots of lovely beaches where you can swim and snorkel around coral reefs, sometimes with giant sea turtles. Many people take a snorkel tour boat out to one of two off-lying areas, Molokini or the Island of Lanai.

You will need to get busy. September is almost here. Book your car now too.

What route will you fly? You can fly direct to Maui from several of the cities on the west coast of the mainland, or fly into Honolulu and 'hop' over on an interisland flight (20 minutes in the air). If you wanted to see the sights of Honolulu you could arrange to fly either into or home from that airport.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,047 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideal Honeymoon??

I see your plans are for NEXT September. (Now I know I'm losing my focus here!)

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideal Honeymoon??

If you are looking for the activity of Waikiki but want quiet luxury for honeymoon, I reccomend the Kahala Resort on Oahu. A quick cab to all clubs and action, but a lovely place to just be.