We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to anywhere in Hawaii from California w/o a...

Forestville...
Level Contributor
179 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to anywhere in Hawaii from California w/o a...

Is there a way "non-7 day cruise way" of getting from anywhere in California to anywhere in Hawaii.

We are planning a trip to Hawaii from Californina and flying is totally out. And we don't want to spend 7 days on a cruise ship.

We just want to get to Hawaii. Any ideas on how to get to in Hawaii in a timely manner without a plane?

Thanks,

Spa

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to anywhere in Hawaii from California w/o a...

California is 2,500 miles from Hawaii. Even if a cruise ship could do 30 mph without stopping, it would still take 3 days to get there. I think most cruises to Hawaii from LA are 14-15 days.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,668 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to anywhere in Hawaii from California w/o a...

Book passage on a freighter, many do take a few passengers.

Just curious, why is flying totally out?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,668 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to anywhere in Hawaii from California w/o a...

Nevermind, just checked and there are no more freighters that carry passengers to Hawaii.

Looks like swim or take a cruise ship are your only options.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,730 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to anywhere in Hawaii from California w/o a...

The old timers talk about riding the cargo ships as children(which would have a half dozen or more passenger staterooms) to the mainland in like five days...and how the cruise ships brought folks in to Aloha Tower. But those days are long gone.

The only solution would be to pack yourself into a crate, and be loaded onto a Matson freighter in Oakland or San Pedro. Bon Voyage.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,749 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to anywhere in Hawaii from California w/o a...

Well, if flying is out for physical reasons, and cruising is out as well, you might be out of luck unless you can afford to charter a very large boat. If someone is afraid of flying, perhaps you can just get some strong medication. I have finally convinced my mom to go in December. She has some thing about flying over water .... should be interesting.

Forestville...
Level Contributor
179 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to anywhere in Hawaii from California w/o a...

Thanks for your input.

I do appreciate it.