We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I plan the perfect vacation

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
How do I plan the perfect vacation

I would like to plan a trip to Hawaii next summer in July. Coming from the east coast I don't really have much knowledge of the islands. I'm traveling with DH and two teenage boys. Where do I start? Which island is best? Thanks

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,968 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I plan the perfect vacation

You'll get many answers about which island is best.

I think Oahu is the best. It has the military museums and other museums, the most & many of the best beaches, the best shopping & the best dining.

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,340 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I plan the perfect vacation

Scroll down a little and look at MrsCakeMaker's thread. Same as yours. Actually, scroll down through this Forum, as there are alot of folks in the same boat.

Pick up a copy of Hawaii for Dummies (sorry about the title!) and start reading. And get a good map.

Figure out how many nights you will be staying ... as that will determine how many islands you can visit. Decide whether you want a hotel or a condo - and consider the types of things that are important for you, DH and the kids.

www.gohawaii.com

This is a good website.

Oahu and/or Maui are great for first-timers.

(Think about whether you want to travel over the 4th - or not!)

Colorado
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I plan the perfect vacation

You really can't go wrong no matter where you stay. IMO, Hawaii is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I love Oahu, Honolulu and the surrounding areas have so much to do. If you stay on Maui, you can take day trips to some of the nearby islands like Molokai and Lanai. I'm a huge Frommer's fan - Frommer's Hawaii has info on all the islands.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,979 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I plan the perfect vacation

First of all dump the idea of a "perfect" vacation..with teens that is NOT gonna happen! Been there done that. However you can have a wonderful, amazing very, very memorable trip that they will be talking about when they are 30. BlBL is right, go uy "Hawaii for Dummies" read through it and take the quizzes. It really will help you all focus on what will make it a great trip for YOU!! Then come back with specific questions and we will be happy to help. Have fun planning!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,070 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I plan the perfect vacation

You can also use this web-site for info and planning. On the left hand side of this page is a menu that is teeming with info. Check it out!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I plan the perfect vacation

Big Island is super but probably not going to be your choice for a firsdt trip. Nonethless, some of my tips also pertain to any island--especially the ones about not overscheduling and the dolphins so here is my general advice based on over two dozen trips to the Big Island and over a dozen to Maui...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k26896…

New York
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I plan the perfect vacation

Are you planning for one week or two?

Are you boys into sports? hiking? snorkeling? exploring?

Museums might be alittle boring for teenagers.

What is your idea of "perfect"?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,340 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I plan the perfect vacation

Everything's "boring" for teenagers! I thought the weapons made from shark's teeth were pretty cool!

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I plan the perfect vacation

It will be about 9 days total not counting the hours it's going to take to fly from the East coast. My teenagers like sports, swimming and nature. Hiking, stuff like that. I'm more into photography and nature. My DH will do whatever. Here is a stupid question (I don't know a thing about Hawaii) how do you get between the islands? Do most go by boat or fly? I'd like to book a condo where we could do some cooking to save on meals. My perfect vacation? Great weather, beautiful scenery and having my family get a long. No stress is the perfect vacation for me whatever we do. I'm open to anything. So, I guess I better visit the library for some travel books. Thanks for you help.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,340 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I plan the perfect vacation

You would fly between the islands. It's the only alternative. You may be able to fly directly into and home from the island you are visiting ... but most flights from the Mainland go into Honolulu, and then folks take an interisland flight to their destination.

You have time to plan, and time to change your mind. You and your family will have a great trip. Get the kids involved in the planning. I think the gohawaii website I mentioned will send you materials free. Go for it. When you pin down your island, we can help with condos, activities and such. Also, when you decide on your island, you can start scrolling down through that particular forum.

If you have 9 nights -- you could see two islands: 5 nights on one and 4 on the other. But, I think it would be more relaxing to choose one location and settle in.

Betty Lou