We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which island?

Having difficulty deciding. Will be staying for 7 nights at the grand wailea with my 14 year old boy. Want to spend 3-4 nights on another island. Either Kauai at the hyatt, big island at waikoloa village or on oahu. Which would be best to satisfy a teen and still have some relaxation?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,371 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which island?

Aloha,

I think Oahu is the best choice. Lots of different things, from Pearl Harbor to the north shore and shrimp trucks, Waikiki & fun people watching, too!

BI is BIG, and 3-4 days is going to be a lot of driving to try and explore it. Will you both enjoy that? VNP is wonderful-if he likes that kind of thing!!

It really depends on your guy's interests-can you be more specific?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,065 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which island?

What does your son need to be satisfied? Some kids like to hike, swim, surf; some want more city-type action. Kaua`i is a great place for the former, but except for one video arcade there's nothing much. Well, a club or two. The Hyatt does have a terrific pool, and it's only a few minutes from a good swimming beach and a better snorkeling beach. Lots to see on the island without too much time spent in a car.

Waikoloa Village is much more of a destination resort. Driving distances are quite long to the major sights. The snorkeling is the best in the islands, though, but you really need more than 3-4 nights to see even the main sites. Less manageable than Kaua`i for a short visit.

You might want to pick up a copy of a good, overall guide like Hawai`i for Dummies (lousy title, great book) and do a bit of reading. Naturally, I'm biased towards Kaua`i, but I love the Big Island, too. Each has different things to offer.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which island?

Honolulu. I think Fourteen would enjoy seeing the Waikiki scene, Pearl Harbor, tour the island, maybe the Polynesian Cultural Center and its wowser luau. Drive around the island.

A whole week at Grand Wailea might be long, but I suppose you will be getting out and touring the island? Got your car reserved?

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which island?

Funny, I am not a Waikiki fan BUT 14 y/o boy, screams Waikiki to me.

Surfing lessons

Shopping

Pearl Harbor (although my boys are bored by this - sorry, I know not politically correct) many teen boys like it though.

Go to Kailua and Kayak to the Mokes

Don't know when you're going, but norht shore for the big waves in winter or north shore to hang at beach in summer.

There are lots of fun, active things to do that a 14 y/o boy would love.

OH - Mine LOVES Dave and Busters to play video games.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
153 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which island?

Honestly, I think any teen is happy going to Hawaii no matter what. Heck, they are in Hawaii. There is something always there on every island. Plan the vacation to make yourself happy, he will be fine too.

Are you into huge city? Oahu would be your place. It is a great place to see some major action, but are you ready for hustle and bustle on your vacation. You can book a tour trip from any of the islands to go over and see Pearl Harbor for the day. We stay on the Big Island. When I brought my teen son over a year ago along with my parents, my dad and son took a tour to Oahu for the day to see Pearl Harbor, USS Missour, Punchbowl Cemetary, etc. They got a taste of downtown Waikiki, and said wow, crazy, and glad we were not there.

I have taken my teenage kids to Maui and Big Island. They really liked the Big Island. So much to offer and so much to see. Quite honestly, I could have gave them boogie boards, suntan lotion, and food and they would have been set for weeks.

My kids travel a lot, so it is not like they are deprived and enjoy simple things. They had fun doing stuff you would never imagine a teenage kid liking. Plan your trip for yourself, and your teenager will have fun!

6. Re: Which island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2010, 06:20