We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dogs/service animals getting into Hawaii

baton rouge, la
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Dogs/service animals getting into Hawaii

Got in touch with the proper authorities about this issue and they seemed 2 be wishy washy if it was a go or no go--any other info or experiences? thanx

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,070 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dogs/service animals getting into Hawaii

Go to www.hawaii.gov then the department of Agriculture. There you will find all the info you need on this subject. From what I could tell, you will have to have all kinds of documentation, rabies shots etc. before entering the state. If you comply with all procedures BEFORE YOU ARRIVE, (watch the time limits closely), you will not have to quarantine your dog. When we moved here with 2 cats, we missed a deadline by like 2 days. Our cats ended up in quarantine for 120 days. Poor kitties, it was like being in jail. The employee's were wonderful though and took great care of them!!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dogs/service animals getting into Hawaii

Check out this link: http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/guidedog/

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dogs/service animals getting into Hawaii

I'm surprised you got anything wishy washy about these requirements, they're pretty solid. It is a challenge to bring animals into Hawaii. The test they are referring to, took quite a while to get the results (like a month, I think). In 05 when we moved to Hawaii, the only lab doing the test was in Nebraska .

Perhaps they were wishy washy about if your dog qualified as a service animal? I can see there could be confusion in some cases there.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,714 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dogs/service animals getting into Hawaii

Aloha,

I am guessing that your dog is not a certified service animal as described under the guidelines linked by Konagirl........so I apologize if I am wrong in advance.

If it's not--here's how dogs get brought to Hawaii:

Your animal must be microchipped by a licensed vet and blood drawn by that same vet, which is then sent to Kansas State (yep, close to Neb.!) for testing of the "titer" or level of rabies antibodies in the animal's blood. The animal cannot have been given a vaccine within several weeks of the test (so as to have unskewed results). After KS receives the blood sample, the 120 day clock begins to run.......but that's based on the presumption that the sample will test within the acceptable ranges. If it doesn't, then another vaccine must be given, about 3 weeks have to go by---and another sample is drawn and sent. Then the clock starts over again, when the second sample arrives at KS and is logged in. What happens if the animal fails a second test? I understand it has happened, but I don't know anyone personally who's been thru that.

After the clock starts, your animal can be anywhere but Hawaii-unless you want to quarantine it. The state has shut down most of its quarantine, if not all--so you have to do it with an approved vet. Ka-Ching!!!! The animal will not be allowed in Hawaii "loose", until the 120 days have passed, it has had another vaccine (no more than 30 days before arrival), and the microchip read matches when the dog is scanned by the authorities.

You will also have very high flight expenses, unless you have a certified service animal. You will perhaps have difficulty with lodging, as it will add deposits etc. in case of damage.....and properties will inquire to the legal limit about the animal. Your animal may have problems with the weather, especially if it is not used to warmer more humid weather. If your animal is not on a flea/tick/heartworm med, it should be tested and placed on those meds well before coming here.

Please consider these issues, and if you do not require a service animal's assistance as described in the link, ask yourself whether your dog needs to be put through this, to join you on vacation.

Again, if your dog is a certified service dog or a guide dog, I apologize for being rather discouraging and even distrusting.

5. Re: Dogs/service animals getting into Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2010, 07:17