We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it worth going to Lanai or Molokai?

East Hampton, NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Topic
is it worth going to Lanai or Molokai?

I'll be spending 6 nights in maui on my honeymoon in october and i was wondering if it is worth taking a day trip to one of these islands?

Any recommendations on what activities we could do if we did go to either of them?

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: is it worth going to Lanai or Molokai?

Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. What do you like to do on vacation? If you are an avid golfer then perhaps a trip to Lana`i to play golf would be in order. Do you like history? Then maybe you want to go to Kalaupapa on Moloka`i. Exploring or interested in unique alien landscapes? Lana`i Boar hunting or skeet shooting? Moloka`i Want to get off the tourist track? Either will do.

But, my personal feeling is that since you only have 6 nights you might as well just stay put on Muai. It's not a lot of time since your first and last days are travel days and there is much to do and see on Maui.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it worth going to Lanai or Molokai?

Lana'i is a wonderful place, and my favorite island to visit. I always say that if I win the lottery I will have a house there. But I agree with the last reply, that with only 6 days on Maui your should just enjoy your time there. Go to Lana'i another time when you can stay there several days. I will be back there for 12 days in January. Have a great honeymoon on Maui!

Somewhere near the...
Level Contributor
493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it worth going to Lanai or Molokai?

Lana'i is much more "do-able" for a day trip than Moloka'i. There are organized tours readily available from Lahaina to go over to Lana'i for a day of snorkeling, tour of the island, and a BBQ.... (Trilogy Catamaran, for example). You can also take the Lahaina-Lana'i ferry if you just want to get to the island and visit the gorgeous beach and/or rent a car/jeep to explore on your own.

Moloka'i is accessible on the Lahaina-Moloka'i ferry (kind of long, only gives you about 4 hours to explore the island, and a pretty bumpy ride back --- not really enough time. But, as has been said, Kalaupapa is one excursion, or just take a car out to Kaluakoi on the west side of the island, or out to the east to the Halawa Valley.) You really don't get the feel of Moloka'i in either event, even if you opt for a "tour". You really need to spend a few days on Moloka'i to "get it."

While there's plenty to do on Maui for your stay, a trip off the island, and coming back across the channel, gives you a different perspective and a better appreciation of the beauty of Maui.

Have fun and aloha.