We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

price of drinking and eating out compared to uk

maidstone
Level Contributor
326 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
price of drinking and eating out compared to uk

hi guys can anyone tell me average prices of drinks in bars,plus dinning out prices....is it dearer than uk????also anyone new best months to go for sunshine?oh yeah how long is it to fly from london???cheers 4 help

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: price of drinking and eating out compared to uk

Compared to prices in the UK, Hawaii will seem like a bargain. Given the conversion rate as of today of 1 GBP being equal to 1.5 USD and how much things in the UK are anyway you will be pleased. Hawaii is expensive but you will see the benefit from the exchange rate.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,606 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: price of drinking and eating out compared to uk

Any month will do for sunshine. Not sure how far it is from London -- I'm guessing 11-12 hours from London to LA -- maybe a bit shorter -- and 4 or so hours from LA to Hawaii, or however you choose to go.

Having just been in London, I can tell you that even Hawaii's finest restaurants will seem like a bargain.

Enjoy!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: price of drinking and eating out compared to uk

Our UK ex-pat friends, Chris & Judy, accompanied us to California & Hawaii in Nov '08. Even though the belly had fallen out of the exchange rate for us ($0.69US for $1.00AU), they continually commented how much cheaper it was than their vacation back in England 6 months previously.

The price of alcohol is so much cheaper than UK or OZ at close to half the price we would pay here (no alcohol excise). The price of meals is comparable to OZ, which our friends said was about 30% cheaper than UK. We spent about $12,000AU per couple for our 3 weeks through California, Nevada & Hawaii. This included our airfares, accommodation, car hire, activities & most meals. Our friends spent over $20,000 for their 4 weeks back in UK and they stayed a relatives' homes 50% of the time. I think that the airfares cost them about $5,000AUD per couple, so that was $15,000 for their stay. Ouch! They're a bit peeved at not being able to go back to Hawaii with us this easter. Maybe in '12.

The worst day in winter in Hawaii will probably be better than the average summer day in UK. In '05 & '07, we were in Hawaii over the easter break (allows me a little more time there off work). In '08 it was early November. Weather was similar, with mostly sunny days and a couple of rainy periods. It's not cold in the rain, so it didn't stop me swimming, etc. Because the islands are so small, weather can change in only minutes and it also depends on the part of the particular island you are visiting, eg: West Maui is dry, North-West Maui is lush.

They tell me that they are having a drought at the moment, so I won't be unhappy if we bring a couple of days of Aussie rain to assist them. I'd rather visit on a tropical island than a desert island. Flight times? Well, all I can say is that it's about 10hrs from Sydney to Honolulu and it's an absolute pain on the overnight leg (day flight back home is better), but it'd be a walk in the park compared to flying from UK!

Summary? I was told that Hawaii was overcrowded, expensive & run-down. This advice came from people holidaying in Thailand & Bali. I find Hawaii's climate fantastic, the people wonderful, not overcrowded, SAFE, vibrant, and the cost is less than a similar quality stay at Surfers Paradise back home. You're also on a little dot of rock on the middle of an ocean, thousands of miles from anywhere. Chickenskin stuff. Give it a - life's too short.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,612 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: price of drinking and eating out compared to uk

>> I was told that Hawaii was overcrowded, expensive & run-down. <<

Wow. This is scary. I'd love to know where they got their info.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: price of drinking and eating out compared to uk

pzp, that was the opinion I received from a couple of acquaintances. They holidayed in Bali, Fiji, Thailand, Vietnam, etc. I think the driving force behind their holidays was the almighty dollar. They'd brag about how they'd pay $1.00 for breakfast or drink beers for 75c all day or buy pirated cd's for $1.00, etc. All the while afraid to drink the water.

We went to Fiji. It was okay, we'll leave it at that.

My wife and a few close friends surprised me with a 50th birthday trip to Hawaii on '05. I'd alway said I'd like to go and do "that bike ride thing down the mountain" that I'd seen on a travel show a few years earlier. Well. from the time I exited the airport I was blown away at the beauty of the place. Sure, there's commercial centres jam-packed with shoppers and we have plenty of better beaches at home, but it's easy to escape the madness in a few minutes.

I defy anyone to stand in front of the Sheraton Waikiki pool, look down across the bay to Diamond Head and not get "chicken skin". Outrigger canoes paddling, catamarans sailing, surfers doing stunts on "planks" 2-up and hundreds of people floating or swimming. All in danger of their heads splitting in half from the smiles. Or watch in awe of nature's majesty when dawn erupts in magnificent colour from a cloudy cauldron as you stand inches from the craters edge of Haleakala, the world's largest dormant volcano. Not dead, just having a little seismic nap of a couple of hundred years. Or snorkel in a submersed volcano's crater at Molokini. Some say it's not the best fish or the best coral. So what? You're snorkelling in a freaking volcano in the middle of the ocean and all the while listening to the calls of whales in the bay, adding a magical symphony to the magnificence of the occasion.

Summary? I can drink the water without worry of "Bali Belly". I can walk the streets without carrying a weapon. I can sleep without locking my windows. I don't need an interpreter to buy lunch. I can catch a cab without being in fear of injury. I get reasonable value for my hard-earned dollar. All in a country of astounding beauty. The only drawback was that on my firs visit, I contracted a debilitating disease. I am left with an insatiable desire to return to Hawaii, no matter how many times I make that trip. Opiate dependence would pale into insignificance, for Hawaii is the drug that satiated the hunger of my pleasure receptors.

Edited: 07 March 2010, 05:04
6. Re: price of drinking and eating out compared to uk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2010, 05:18