We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus pollution in Hawaii

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
Bus pollution in Hawaii

Whenever and wherever we stopped on the tourist routes on the Hawaiian islands over the past month or so, we were quite annoyed that the tour buses and vans kept their engines running the entire time their passengers were hiking, walking, bathrooming, shopping, eating.....for varying lengths of time. How can it be that this is permitted when it creates air and noise pollution, harms the plants and animals, annoys other visitors, and is environmentally and ecologically so wasteful and terrible. Every day I observed big tour buses and smaller vans running their engines...sometimes over an hour. Is it too hard for the driver to turn off the engine and restart it forty minutes later? Will it take too long for the bus to get cool enough and will it heat up so much in 20-30 minutes? Would it be possible for the driver to start up the bus a few minutes before reboarding to cool the bus rather than leaving it running for so long?

I strongly urge Hawaiians to fight for legislation and for tourists to object to the pollution their tour buses and vans create.

Mother Earth thanks you

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,237 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus pollution in Hawaii

larktrav, tour buses on Kaua`i are a relatively rare sight. I don't know where you were, but I'm surprised you found such here.

>> Will it take too long for the bus to get cool enough and will it heat up so much in 20-30 minutes?<<

Yes. Even a car here will get quite hot inside in 20-30 minutes.

Edited: 07 March 2010, 07:15
East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus pollution in Hawaii

When we were visiting over the last month, the weather was NOT hot. Our car was still fairly cool when we returned to it at overlooks and 20 minute tourist stops. It took only a moment to feel the AC again yet the smell of the bus pollution remained for quite some time and the noise and air pollution during the stop was intense.

Perhaps in summer the weather is so hot that it would make a difference but in winter NOT.

How can you excuse idling bus engines for twenty minutes to an hour or more.....not reasonable.

3. Re: Bus pollution in Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2010, 06:18