We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diet, Exercise, Fake Spray Tan or Go As You Are?

WEBWORLD
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Diet, Exercise, Fake Spray Tan or Go As You Are?

How do others prepare for Hawaii?

I wonder if I have to look good (well, within achieveable limits) to enjoy the islands.

Anyone go and not give a hoot how they will look?

I think I will diet, exercise and get new swim wear that is (somewhat) fashionable.

That's what I am telling myself now. After a week, I have tired of dieting.

I am only half kidding.

Anyone else thinking of these things?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diet, Exercise, Fake Spray Tan or Go As You Are?

I have terminally straight hair, and I like ... or at least I try ... to get a perm a month or so before I leave. It's easier to keep my hair up and out of my face.

Make-up ... it's hot in Hawaii... make-up is a lost cause. Do prepare with sunscreen. And bring a good floppy hat or visor.

Toes. Get a pedicure if you can find a good clean place to get one. Pick a super fun color! A special pink. Goes will with the sandals.

Bottom line -- Hawaii is full of people just like you and I ... trying to get away from it all for a while. Regular humans of all sizes.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diet, Exercise, Fake Spray Tan or Go As You Are?

I like to use vacations as motivation to eat better and stick to an exercise plan, and if that vacation involves a bathing suit all the better! But I also usually appreciate the anonymity being a tourist allows me and leave my makeup and blow dryer at home.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diet, Exercise, Fake Spray Tan or Go As You Are?

I'm going as is!

Something tells me I am the first guy to post on this thread..............

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diet, Exercise, Fake Spray Tan or Go As You Are?

I guess if you were going with the intent of meeting someone new and wanted to look your very best then yes you might want to do all those things way ahead of time. If your intent is just to go and enjoy the beauty of paradise then I would skip all that.

Diet and exercise should be part of your life anyway...right?

LA
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Diet, Exercise, Fake Spray Tan or Go As You Are?

Fake tans are stupid. They will not give you any sun protection. You wil still have to wear sunscreen.

Many thousands of people enjoy Hawaii each year , and no one gives a hoot how they look.

WEBWORLD
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Diet, Exercise, Fake Spray Tan or Go As You Are?

Thanks,

I enjoy all the takes on this.

BLBL,

"Bottom line -- Hawaii is full of people just like you and I ... trying to get away from it all for a while. Regular humans of all sizes."

Thanks for the info.

Those travel shows on TV always show the size 0's in thongs and the men from the cover of "weight lifter digest". Which beach are they on - I want to avoid that one?

MerryTravels,

"I like to use vacations as motivation to eat better and stick to an exercise plan, and if that vacation involves a bathing suit all the better!"

Or all the worse.

Seriously, I have been trying to get on the diet and exercise wagon anyway. Hawaii does add some extra incentive.

BrlDsguise,

"I'm going as is!"

Do men secretly want their SO's to look great even if they (the male) don't? Don't be afraid to tell. I won't tell anyone if you say yes.

BrightonBill,

"Diet and exercise should be part of your life anyway...right?"

Yes, however, exercise to look good and exercise for health are not always the same.

PareoB,

"Fake tans are stupid. They will not give you any sun protection. You wil still have to wear sunscreen."

I was joking on that one. I have never had a fake tan. And I have to get the extreme level SPF. I am fair and fry easily

Thanks, everyone for the info.

Has anyone ever dieted and exercised for a vacation, then had an eat-a-thon of all the good foods and treats when they get to their destination?

I see loads of things I want to try (or have again - shave ice freak here) in Hawaii.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diet, Exercise, Fake Spray Tan or Go As You Are?

Increase my workout & endurance. Hawaii is my chance to snorkel, surf, boogie board, SUP, try a new sport, etc. The last thing I want is to get tired out on the open water - the life guards do their best but ultimately its my responsibility to be safe in the water.

Plus - all the exercise helps off-set all my favorite foods - lilikoi chiffon pie, Lapperts ice cream, malasadas, poke, you get the idea :)

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diet, Exercise, Fake Spray Tan or Go As You Are?

BRITKETTE

I will be 100% honest here. My SO asks me all the time - "should I wear makeup" and I always honestly answer "I don't care". I am going to see - not to be seen, so while I will be neatly dressed (I don't like slobs), I will probably not have shaved.

WEBWORLD
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Diet, Exercise, Fake Spray Tan or Go As You Are?

Kauai_No_Ka_Oi ,

I do get the idea, in both instances. I do not go in for all sports (I have a sibling who does all the exciting things like diving, skiing, kayaking, volleyball). I go for long walks, snorkeling, light hiking and swimming. I do try to get fit for those for vacation.

"lilikoi chiffon pie, Lapperts ice cream, malasadas",

Where does one get these? In HNL, Hilo, Kauai and/or Maui?

And what is "poke'?

BrlDsguise,

Thanks for the honesty. Your SO is one fortunate girl.

However,

"I am going to see - not to be seen, so while I will be neatly dressed (I don't like slobs), I will probably not have shaved."

Does she mind a scratchy face?

I have to admit, I don't love scratchy faces.

On the other hand, SO also enjoys a break from shaving every day. So, I don't whine over it.

Thanks, for the entertainment and information.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,264 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diet, Exercise, Fake Spray Tan or Go As You Are?

Ah . . . come and discover the joy of Hawaii and the aloha spirit. :)

Well, I haven't been on a beach in Waikiki, so I don't know if it is similar to the Southern California beach scene where your size and fitness really does matter (or at least you feel that it does). That old Hollywood ideal. BUT I have seen every size and shape imagineable in Kauai and Maui. Remember, many of the locals have ancestry that leans towards being fairly large . . . and no body really cares. At least that is the feeling I have gotten . . . comfort and happiness seem to be more important on Hawaii then how you look in your swimsuit. I would not worry about it!

I think like any vacation that you should go and enjoy the local food. I tend to not put weight on during vacation especially in tropical destinations where you can eat very healthy (lots of fresh fish and fruit) to make up for the occasional shave ice with macadamia nut ice cream on the bottom. Walk/hike and swim/snorkel - you'll be just fine. I hope that you cast your worries aside and have a fabulous holiday - I'll be looking forward to your trip reports. :)

Edited: 19 May 2010, 21:44