We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental in maui/oahu... does it matter what type of...

East Hampton, NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Topic
car rental in maui/oahu... does it matter what type of...

I'm not quite sure what type of car to rent while in maui & oahu. Does it really matter if its an economy car, jeep, or convertible?

Is there one that is better than the other in hawaii?

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental in maui/oahu... does it matter what type of...

We have rented regular cars and convertibles on different trips for seperate occasions. We chose the convertible for our honeymoon, since we were splurging on everything anyway. You shouldn't need a jeep unless you plan on needing a 4x4, which I doubt you would really need. A convertible is nice, but very costly. Also, you'll probably get enough sun with out the convertible. The regular car will work just fine, and save you a ton of money!!

As far as airport business hours, you can visit the website, and click on the airport locations, it should list open/close times for everyday of the week.

www.travelzoo.com has some good car specials.

new york
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental in maui/oahu... does it matter what type of...

We rented after we arrived in Maui through "Word of Mouth". They rent cheap older cars.. We got a 99 toyota corolla for 8 days for a low rate... dont remember off hand how much.. the car ran perfect.. brakes were a little sensitive at first but... we even drove the road to Hana....... :) .

WOULD USE THIS COMPANY AGAIN..They drop u to airport on return.(if u pre book I think they will pick u up too)..low rate allowed us spend more $$ on other stuff.