We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Airlines - a few questions

USA
Level Contributor
115 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaiian Airlines - a few questions

1) the weight limit for a carry on bag is 25 lbs...do they weigh people's bags?

2) Is it worth the extra money to fly first class for interisland flights?

3) For all interisland flights, is it recommeded to get to the airport 1.5/2hr before departure time? (assuming you are not checking a bag)

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian Airlines - a few questions

1) Never seen it happen, but it doesn't mean it can't happen. The thing that catches people off-guard is the size & shape of their carry-on bag. Different planes have different configurations (even within the same airline) so what fits in the overhead bin flying to Hawaii will not necessarily fit in the overhead bin of an interisland flight.

2) No, not unless you absolutely have no other option and you have to get to your next destination immediately. Seriously, the air time of the flight from Oahu to Kauai is only about 20 minutes - save your money for a drink on the ground.

3) Yes. Of course, you can always cut it finer but I wouldn't want the stress of worrying that I'd possibly get stuck in a huge line trying to clear security and missing my flight.

USA
Level Contributor
115 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian Airlines - a few questions

Thank you Kauai_No_Ka_Oi

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
520 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian Airlines - a few questions

I have not seen them weigh carry-ons but have seen them weigh checked baggage. Saw a lady become very unlady-like once when the agent tagged her with an overweight bag charge.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian Airlines - a few questions

1) Can't help you ... but do check the website. I have never seen a scale at the gate.

2) No - it is not worth paying for first class on interisland flights. Short flights!

3) Generally, 1.5 hours is plenty. You may have to go through agricultural check (if you are tagging your bags through to a Mainland flight) but that doesn't take very long. And if you get your boarding passes printed at the hotel or before you leave home ... again, that will speed up the process. With the exception of Honolulu, the Island airports are pretty small. Not much there there.

Edistotiger: I weighed in at 49 pounds once. The whole line applauded! Close call!

Edited: 11 June 2010, 20:22
Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian Airlines - a few questions

They are becoming much more strict with carry-on baggage inspection....mostly for size..but we had ours weighed a couple times.

There is Airline revenue to be had if you have to check that carry-on...

The time check-in recommendations are more for security clearance than bag check-in. The Security lines can take forever at different times of the day, depending on all of the departures . 2 hours will be good....90 minutes minimum. especially if you are dropping off a car.

Good Choice with Hawaiian Airlines. They are #1 for Safety, Comfort and On-time performance.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian Airlines - a few questions

1.5 hours prior to an interisland flight is waaaaaay more than enough time...

Even if you have to get boarding passes and check-in luggage at the ticket counter. Heck, you arrive 48 minutes before your flight you will be safe, even if the security line packed.

You don't need to go through agricultural check on inter-island flights, and make sure to use the left-side ticketing lobby which is for inter-island departures and not near as crowded as the mainland-bound lobby.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian Airlines - a few questions

Yes, dear Amberloo ... you do have to go through Ag check if your interisland flight is part of (a leg of) your flight to the Mainland. I do it all the time. You can't check your bags through to the Mainland without the stickers.

If your interisland flight is - simply an interisland flight and you are staying on another island - then you don't have to go through Ag.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian Airlines - a few questions

Betty Lou...

The poster specifically asked about "interisland" flights, never mentioning the mainland whatsoever.

I have never had to go through ag check when traveling interisland unless my destination was the mainland.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian Airlines - a few questions

<<The poster specifically asked about "interisland" flights, never mentioning the mainland whatsoever.>> I know - that why I didn't assume.

<<I have never had to go through ag check when traveling interisland unless my destination was the mainland.>> Of course.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian Airlines - a few questions

Hawaiian has been our choice of mainland/island transportation for 5 years now as well as interisland flights.

We never flew 1st class on the interisland legs until this past fall. We flew from OGG to HNL for 2 nights. The flight to HNL was in coach like we always have done. We noticed something was different right away when my wife's knees touched the back of the seat in front. She's very petite/short and always has plenty of leg room. Not on this flight; she was as cramped as I was (I'm 6/2). When we we were leaving the plane I asked one of the flight attendants when Hawaiian put in 5 more rows of seats. He grinned back at me but didn't say anything. When we checked into our return flight, we upgraded to 1st just for the legroom

Rex