We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Hawaii

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time in Hawaii

I hope I am in the right forum. I have posted my question in the wrong spot, thanks for the kind people advising me and giving me some tips.

Hello all,

My husband gave my a surprise trip to Hawaii this August - one week.

As it will be our first time there, I am hoping to get from tips on what island or islands would be the best to visit. I don't mind shopping and would like to see a typical Hawaii and of course the volcanoes. I was already alerted that 1 week will be hard to do everything I would like, so I definitely need your help.

Also, is the water calm and warm?

Is the weather good in August?

Thanks for all information.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,905 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Hawaii

<<I was already alerted that 1 week will be hard to do everything I would like, so I definitely need your help.>> Actually, it would be impossible! With only one week, stay on one island. (Coming so far for only one week??) One of the main questions for many visits from Britain is whether or not to rent a car. Oahu is the only island where you can see many of the sites without a car (but one would come in handy). On the other major islands, a car is a must.

August is hot and dry. It is also high season.

Pick up a copy of Hawaii for Dummies (sorry about the title) right and a good map of the Hawaiian Islands. Also go to www.gohawaii.com.

About the volcanoes, you may be able to take a day-tour to the Big Island. There is a current thread on the Oahu Forum.

Anyway -- island-hopping will consume your precious vacation, so choose one island and settle in.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,234 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Hawaii

First, you want to act quickly; summer is high season here.

Grab a copy of "Hawai`i for Dummies." It's a good overall guide that should help you decide which island to visit. With only a week you can really only do one island.

If you must see an active volcano your only choice is the Big Island. Be aware that you may not be able to see live lava. The huge black lava fields have their own charm, but they're probably not what you envision as Hawai`i. Some nice beaches. No shopping to speak of.

Maui has a dormant volcano, Haleakala, which is pretty neat. Great beaches and a reasonable amount of shopping as well as plenty of other things to do. It's a little busy and crowded for my tastes, though.

Kaua`i is very laid-back and rural. The north shore is what you might think of as "typical Hawai`i." It may also be a tad cooler than the other islands. We're the oldest of the major islands, so our volcanoes are eroded into spectacular knife-edged ridges. There's also Waimea Canyon, the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific." Great beaches. Very little shopping.

O`ahu is the most populated of the islands and has the only real city, Honolulu. Lots of interesting things to do, including Pearl Harbor/Arizona memorial. Lots of shopping. Some lovely beaches.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,055 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Hawaii

Tis a lovely surprise my dear but most folks plan for August a year out! As stated it is High time! Is there any chance that you can add a few days? In your time-frame you are only enjoying 4-5 days on any island! You will be sleeping a lot and adjusting to the time!

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Hawaii

Thanks ! I will get the book and decide if we should postpone our visit to Hawaii for next year and do a better planning.

Thanks again

5. Re: First time in Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2011, 07:15