We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 night honeymoon- which island(s)??

NC
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
7 night honeymoon- which island(s)??

Hi, we need some help deciding which islands to visit on our honeymoon next October. We will have 7 nights. I'm leaning towards Kauai and Maui, my fiance wants Kauai and the Big Island. Is this even enough time to see 2 islands or should we stick with one? I'm thinking the traveling between the islands might be too hectic for a honeymoon. If you only had 7 nights which islands would you visit? Thanks in advance!

Central Jersey
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 night honeymoon- which island(s)??

I can't give you an opinion on what island to go to, but we are honeymooning in June and for the first 7 days we will be doing the NCL cruise. almost 2 days on each island. We've never been to hawaii so we don't really know which island we like either. So this way we can take something from each island that we are interested in and do it, then NEXT TIME we go to hawaii we'll probably just go to one island. After the cruise we will be staying on Oahu so we don't have to pay for the interisland flights (which aren't too $$). But Oahu has alot to do and some gorgeous beaches. Its really quite a hard decision. I think most of the people here would say to stay on one island. Good luck, hope I didn't confuse you too much!

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 night honeymoon- which island(s)??

Seven days really isn't enough time to see two islands, especially the Big Island and one other. They don't call it big for nothing! I would stick with one and enjoy it. The big difference between Maui and Kauai is the level of development and types of activities. Maui has more nightlife, shopping and is a bit more "touristy". Kauai is more rural with less nightlife but more nature oriented things to do.

Congratulations!

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 night honeymoon- which island(s)??

When we honeymooned in Kauai and Maui, it was for 6 or 7 nights. We did about 3 days on each and it was fine. You will not see everything, but it's your honeymoon and do you really want to be rushed around all the time? You basically will get an overview of the islands, and plan for an anniversary to go back. That is what we did. Kauai and Maui for the honeymoon, Big Island and Oahu for our 10 year anniversary last year. Now that we have been to the major islands, we can plan ahead to go back to our favorites with our kids and show them things.

Check out www.travelzoo.com for some good deals and let everyone know you are on your honeymoon when making reservations and travelling. You never know what extras or upgrades you may recieve.

Congratulations..

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 night honeymoon- which island(s)??

We did our first trip to Hawaii, with 9 nights to stay, and visited Kauai and the Big Island. We then went back on the second trip and just stayed (for 15 nights) on the Big Island. We love both islands! We could easily spend 7 days and nights on Kauai. It is lush, tropical, gorgeous, amazing, and small enough that the distances between places to visit aren't that huge. If you visit two islands, you will spend the better part of one day getting to the airport, turning in the rental car, flying to the next island, renting the next car, etc. Seems like a pretty un-fun thing to do on a honeymoon. The Big Island is pretty spread out, and you will spend considerable time driving from place to place (hours, sometimes). I wouldn't want to rush around it in just a few days...but that's just me. You will certainly have a wonderful time in Kauai and/or the Big Island, and Maui (haven't been there yet) sounds terrific too, so don't worry too much about choosing one or the other--they are all different in many ways, but quite a wonderful place for a memorable trip! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

NC
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 night honeymoon- which island(s)??

Thanks everyone... I think we'll probably just visit Kauai on this trip. :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,960 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 night honeymoon- which island(s)??

Aloha! So glad you picked Kauai - my favorite! Since no one else mentioned it, do pick up a copy of the Ultimate Kauai Revealed - it's very detailed and will be a tremendous help in planning your honeymoon. Also hop on over to the Kauai forum, as people love to share their experiences and advice. Kwils is very helpful on that site. You might do a search and read jammers detailed reports, as he did a fairly recent honeymoon on Kauai & Maui. Congrats and have a wonderful time. :)

NC
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 night honeymoon- which island(s)??

Thanks, coalminer. Just ordered a copy of Kauai Revealed yesterday!