We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Island

Minneapolis
1 post
Save Topic
Recommended Island

Hello, Mom and I are taking the POA cruise for a week to explore the islands in mid December. I wanted to know what island (and area on island) you would recommend to spend 5 additional days to relax and enjoy the beach and whale watch. I'm considering Maui, just because everyone says thats the place to be to relax and its quite. Thanks for any input.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
899 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Island

I think you have made a great choice in Maui! We always spend the week before Christmas in Maui and really enjoying the whales!

This is a great link for hotels/condos on Maui:

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauaerials.html

We also LOVE the Big Island! The Kona Coast is the best!

www.wizardpub.com/bigisland/bigresort.html

Aloha!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Island

Maui is great for whale-watching. Know that you will need a car on Maui. Reserve it NOW.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,654 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Island

The channel between Maui and Lanai is 'whale central'. I hope your visit doesn't overlap the Christmas holidays -- very busy, often booked solid for both lodgings and cars.

In winter, South Maui will have calmer seas and less rain than far north Maui (Kapalua and Napili). Best beaches are Sugar Beach (N. Kihei), the three Kamaoles (S. Kihei), and all the beaches throughout Wailea and Makena. South Kihei and Wailea are also quieter than the more 'buzz-y' Lahaina/Kaanapali section.

Are you looking for a hotel or a condo? Budget?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Island

Parts of Maui are quieter than others ... and if you tell us your nightly accomodations budget, we can recommend resorts for you.

If your trip continues into the week before Christmas, expect an upsurge in people and prices.

5. Re: Recommended Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2011, 07:15