We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice re: United, Hawaiian Air, and Island Air

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
917 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice re: United, Hawaiian Air, and Island Air

Received a call from United re: our December flights.

Background: Booked flight through United which included a multi-city - CLE-ORD-LAX-OGG 12/16/2010; 12/23/10 - Inter-island flight: OGG-KOA (Hawaiian Air); 12/29/10 KOA-LAX-CLE (United and Continental). Receive confirmation and tickets on 5/18/10.

The United rep stated that Hawaiian cancelled our reservation for our inter-island flight, which was paid for with our original ticket so someone has the money for this ticket, either United or Hawaiian. He was on hold with the Hawaiian rep and said they could not get us on a flight and stated that it was "sold out". I was on Hawaiian's website, and there were 2 flights non-stop wide open. He put me back on hold, and the Hawaiian Rep said they would take our reservation as a "wait list" and it would take 12 hrs before Hawaiian would confirm it. United offered me 3 options: 1 - Book with Island Air; 2 - call tomorrow 8/22/10 to confirm our reservation with Hawaiian; 3 - refund the difference $273 on our original ticket and let me rebook with Hawaiian.

Just throwing this out there - which option would you take and why? I am very disappointed in Hawaiian Air because if United had not called me, I would not have known that Hawaiian had cancelled our reservations. Nothing like trying to get a flight right before Christmas!.

If you pick option 1, can you please tell me about Island Air? I have no knowledge of this airline and a little anxious about booking with them.

Thank you so much in advance!

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice re: United, Hawaiian Air, and Island Air

Aloha :) I flew Island Air in May from BI to Maui. It was really windy on Maui, but I don't recall being terrified about wind on the flight. The thing that scared me, though, was that it was the smallest plane I've flown on. Maybe 30 people? 25? don't remember. You can't take your carry-on in the cabin as the overhead bins are too small. They have to be checked in.

But we all arrived safely, less crowded, less busy-ness at the end of the flight, and it was on time.

Bummer about Hawaiian Air. I'd rather have a guaranteed flight than sit on a waiting list.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice re: United, Hawaiian Air, and Island Air

I would hang in there with Hawaiian Airlines. They have the most options. Know that flight between OGG and KOA direct are rare ... if they exist at all (?). Most Hawaiian Airlines flights use Honolulu as a hub ... which, to be honest, your travel agent or United Airlines should have known. They should have booked you from LAX to Honolulu ... and then Honolulu to KOA. Flying to you Maui to get to KOA may look logical on a map ... but it doesn't follow the pattern Hawaiian Airlines uses - successfully, I might add.

Island Air uses small planes ... make sure that they are flying out of OGG and NOT Kapalua. Also -- they have issues with weight ... so know the luggage restrictions.

Sorry about the hassle. It sounds more like the usually United Airlines incompetence that an issue with Hawaiian Airlines. That's just my take. I would wait and see what Hawaiian comes up with.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
917 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice re: United, Hawaiian Air, and Island Air

Our Hawaii itinerary included arriving in Maui first for 8 days, then onto Kona from Maui for 7 days. The flight from Maui to Kona (one-way) was the flight that Hawaiian cancelled. We did not need to go to Honolulu at all, so a non-stop from Maui to Kona was the only option we elected for.

BTW - This was not a United screw up. Hawaiian cancelled the 11:55am flight from Maui to Kona, and instead of trying to rebook us on another Hawaiian flight (through HNL or not), they just cancelled it without notifying us. It was United who notified us.

UPDATE: received an email from United this morning, and looks like we are on an Hawaiian flight, but I am going to call Hawaiian to confirm.

Will keep you posted.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
696 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice re: United, Hawaiian Air, and Island Air

I personally did not think Island Air was all that bad. On our trip we flew on Go! Airlines, Island Air and Hawaiian for our interisland trips. I was least impressed with Go!. We had to check our carry-ons and were charged for it. On Island Air, we were worried about having to check our carry-on bags, but they gate checked them and they were right there as we got off the plane. Yes, the planes are small, but rather fun. On Hawaiian, they expressed concern over the size of our carry-on bags, but when we got on the plane, the overhead bins were more than adequate so I could not understand the concern over our bags. The flight itself was just fine.

Anyway, if you have to change your plans, IMO, Island Air is not that bad of a choice and I think they are less cost than the others.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
917 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice re: United, Hawaiian Air, and Island Air

UPDATE: Good news! Hawaiian has confirmed our new reservation and when I called Hawaiian they gave me our seat assignments. I called United to confirm our complete itinerary, and am very pleased how efficient the process worked. I commend United and Hawaiians customer service reps for their hard work.

PS - I am not crossing my fingers that our itinerary will change BEFORE we leave!

Mahalo for everyone's input - it is much appreicated!

Livermore...
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice re: United, Hawaiian Air, and Island Air

Glad to hear it. Hawaiian sometimes will block out interisland flights showing no availability if you are making an interisland reservation. They do this to accomodate people who are flying from the mainland or purchased a vacation package.

This spring there were flights listed as 'unavailable' HNL-KOA but when making a reservation from the mainland to KOA they were available.

7. Re: Need advice re: United, Hawaiian Air, and Island Air

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2011, 07:21