We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book 'Em Danno!

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
Save Topic
Book 'Em Danno!

Hi! This is the new Steve McGarret. I was wondering how you all like my new show "Hawaii Five-O" on CBS Monday nights? I look especially great in HD!

So how do you like the show so far? This is very travel related because people vacation in Hawaii and if they like this show it might encourage them to vacation in Hawaii, and come visit me. But don't be bringing trouble with you braddah, 5-0 is "looking at you"!

P.S. Hawaii looks good in HD too and a special guest star in Episode 5. ;) :)

A_L_O_H_A........Steve

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,740 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book 'Em Danno!

They seem to be shooting Hawaii with the same lighting effects as Miami in CSI: MIami. But---when I went to Miami, it looked NOTHING like the views on the show. HOWEVER---when you go to Hawaii, Oahu does look as good as it does on the show!

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book 'Em Danno!

caddy,

didn't really care for it....bang bang shoot 'em up...*yawn*

just more of the same ol' thing on tv these days...that i don't watch either

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book 'Em Danno!

The show was ok, nothing unusual. But... McGarrett can't pronounce Kalakaua properly.

FAIL.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book 'Em Danno!

He can't even pronounce Honolulu correctly. Or haole.

EPIC FAIL

I wouldn't be watching if it weren't Hawai'i, so they'd better capitalize on the location, culture, etc., if they don't want to be just another cop show.

The NBC show Hawai'i that aired briefly in 2004, had an HPD that was NOT run by haole chiefs and it was way more real about showing local characters. But it got canceled.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book 'Em Danno!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

They need a cultural advisor to help them pronounce things here - not only Kalakaua, but malihini, haole, and oh - Honolulu?

I think I heard them pronounce haole about 3 different ways in the course of an hour - but I give them props for using the word "hupo" (stupid) correctly I guess - someone must have their Hawaiian dictionary out! And what about the name for the female cop? "Kona Kalakaua" - lol!!!!! Classic!

I just finished watching it, so pardon my "enthusiasm" - I hope it works out, but I think the writing is horrible and the characters beyond dumb. I'd be amazed if it lasts a whole season personally.

Just another bad cop show - with spectacular locations though!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book 'Em Danno!

The scenes I enjoyed the most were at the beginning, obviously filmed at Kualoa Ranch which I had visited on my last trip to Oahu. As for the cast and story, my expectations were low. By the end, I was pleasantly surprised to find I kind of liked it!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Book 'Em Danno!

"McGarrett can't pronounce Kalakaua properly. "

Alex O'Loughlin is Australian. Perhaps he needs a local voice coach to help him with a few words.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Book 'Em Danno!

Yep, we were talking about this already on the Sunset on the Beach topic:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k390466…

My question there was, why coach an Australian and a South Korean to pronounce like mainlanders when they are supposed to be born and raised Oahu?

When someone (Kim?) told McGarrett that Danno had just come over from the "main land" -- I sort of choked.

There are millions of viewers who won't care about any of this, but there are a lot of viewers in or from or in love with Hawai'i who will not be able to hear this stuff without finding it jarring. And when it gets jarring, that screws up the "suspension of disbelief" that writers aim for.

At least when LOST had hippies picking peaches off mango trees, or had a car that was supposed to be in LA jumping into the Ala Wai at the Marina with the Prince towers in the background -- the whole show was so surreal that they could sort of pull it off. Plus they were not representing Hawai'i and failing at it.

How strange it would be if Linda Lingle were anything like Jean Smart's character.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Book 'Em Danno!

Amend that comment Caddy...

Should read "Hawaii looks good on a HD too". At a guess, they own every second word in modern use, so be careful referring to HD without a trademark suffix :-)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,740 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Book 'Em Danno!

Oh, this is TEEVEE!!!

I hope the show gets good ratings and is on a long time, getting better as they go along. Why? Because it will attract visitors to Hawaii and they sure could use some after the recession. Here's to the hardworking folks in the visitor industry--and to 5-0!

Let us remember that McGarrett in the original show wore suits and ties for most of the show...and was pretty uptight. It will be interesting to see how Danno evolves as he gets into the island.

Washington DC appears in movies and TV shows (e.g. Covert Affairs) often. But it's usually Baltimore or Canada...yet we maintain our cool about the inauthenticity. Top Chef DC was not much DC at all! And in Covert Affairs, people are usually shown driving the wrong direction across the Potomac...because the view is better, probably!!!1

Edited: 22 September 2010, 14:05