We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

X-mas in Hawaii? Which Island & Resort have you stayed at?

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
403 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
X-mas in Hawaii? Which Island & Resort have you stayed at?

Hello,

So I am planning a grand trip to the Hawaiian Islands next year for Christmas. We will fly into Honolulu for the marathon and then hope to visit two other islands. We have been to Maui before and stayed at the Four Seasons there. I was all ready to book the Four Seasons from December 20 - 27 until I found I would have to go on a waitlist. That is really bizarre to me, but I put my name down anyway. So now I am asking myself, is the Four Season right for us at Christmas. Will it be so crowded that I will feel like I am at Daytona Beach during spring break?

Our ideal trip started off being a six day stay on Oahu, a week in Maui and a four day stay on the Big Island. Now I am open to anything. We are a family of three with a 7 year old son. Where have you all stayed during the 'festive period' and specifically for Christmas. We want nice resorts, that offer activities for our son. We have now even consider Lanai or Kauai so any resort recommendations for Christmas would be great!

Any info would be useful and very appreciated.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,198 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: X-mas in Hawaii? Which Island & Resort have you stayed at?

I've stayed a few places at Christmas - the Hyatt and the Moana Surfrider on Waikiki and the Sheraton Maui on Ka'anapali Beach. I see that the Honolulu Marathon is on December 11, in 2011 ... so it looks like you'll be staying in Hawaii for a while. I would recommend the Moana (TOWER room), the Hyatt and the Royal Hawaiian ... but there are other good choices as well.

On Maui -- you might consider renting a condo, depending on the length of your stay. If you want something Four Seasons-like ... the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua is nice. If you want something in the more "active" area - I like the stretch of Ka'anapali south of Black Rock. Another great choice for you and your family would be the Westin Villas (condos - not the resort) or Honua Kai - also condos.

We didn't find Maui or Waikiki oppressively (is that a word?) crowded, but we did not stay the week after Christmas.

Edited: 06 November 2010, 20:41
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
403 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: X-mas in Hawaii? Which Island & Resort have you stayed at?

Thanks BLBL,

Ideally we will fly in on Thursday, December 8th, torture ourselves with the marathon on Sunday, December 11 and then spend a few more days on Oahu leaving on the 13th, heading to the BI for 4 nights and then either heading straight to Maui for 9 nights and then heading back home. Another option would be to go to Maui for 5 nights and then spend a quiet Christmas in Lanai at one of the Four Season properties there.

I am considering the Royal Hawaiian for our stay in Oahu as it is very unique.

Thanks again for for your response.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,198 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: X-mas in Hawaii? Which Island & Resort have you stayed at?

TMM - I posted a review of the Royal Hawaiian a couple weeks ago here on TA.

Think about a quiet Christmas at the FS on the Big Island, perhaps putting your stay on Maui in the middle of the trip.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,905 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: X-mas in Hawaii? Which Island & Resort have you stayed at?

Christmas is one of the islands busiest seasons. Good thing you are looking for accommodations well in advance. I've stayed at the Royal Hawaiian for Christmas and it is fantastic. Since you've been to Maui, check out places on Kauai. It's a nice change of pace. For the best weather and ocean conditions during the winter, stay south/leeward side on any island!!

Even during the busiest times in Hawaii it's never like Daytona Beach during spring break.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
403 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: X-mas in Hawaii? Which Island & Resort have you stayed at?

Thanks guys,

BLBL, I have booked the FS Big Island for four days before the Festive period as they require a week stay from the 24 - 31 of December and we need to be heading back to the UK on the 28th for celebrations with my husband's family.

msfuzz, any recommendations for Kauai? I think we might like Kauai, but I always though it rained quite a bit there, so I better do my homework.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: X-mas in Hawaii? Which Island & Resort have you stayed at?

A car is a MUST for the Big Island, but a week is by no means too long there. Four Seasons there is nice but you will want to explore more beaches. Mauna Lani costs maybe $400 less per night, less luxury but great grounds, staff, and snorkeling.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,065 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: X-mas in Hawaii? Which Island & Resort have you stayed at?

TMM, it's a common misconception that it rains all the time here. While we do have the wettest spot on earth, it's up in the middle of the island and pretty much inaccessible. The areas where people live vary in rainfall. In winter there will most likely be more rain to the north and east, less to the south and west. In any case it would be unusual to have steady rain all over the island even in winter. We tend to get trade showers that mostly move through pretty quickly. And it may not even be raining two miles down the road.

I'd recommend looking at the Grand Hyatt in Po`ipu. It's very near restaurants and swimming/snorkeling beaches, and it's a lovely resort.

Bear in mind you'll have to rent a car on Kaua`i; public transport is skimpy. You'll want to reserve several months in advance; cars can be in short supply here at high season. Keep checking for better rates as time goes on..

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: X-mas in Hawaii? Which Island & Resort have you stayed at?

If you just plan to stay at the resort, Four Seasons Hualalai is a lovely choice, and four nights would be plenty. If you want to SEE Big Island, you'd need a week, minimum, and would need to 'move house', staying at least one night in the town of Volcano if you want to tour VNP. Mauna Lani and Mauna Kea are both lovely Kohala area resorts.

The Hyatt in Poipu would be the best hotel choice on Kauai in winter. You can easily drive north to see the gorgeous Princeville area. (Would likely be wet, cool and windy there.)

I'm pro-condo for families. DH and I like the privacy of our own room and bath, and it's nice to have a full kitchen and washer/dryer. Hawaii is the perfect place for the 'home away from home' of a condo. The Wailea Beach Villas on Maui are quite new and very nice. If your son likes pool complexes, the Grand Wailea has that, and they have their own condos. Fairmont Kea Lani might suit -- they offer two room suites.

Four Seasons Lanai is another good choice.

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
879 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: X-mas in Hawaii? Which Island & Resort have you stayed at?

This will be our 3rd Christmas on the Islands. Group includes - 2 adults (Dad and Mom 40+) 1 teenager (16+) and 2 adults (Grandpa and Grandma 65+)

Trip 1

Depart 12/17/2008

Honolulu 1n/1 day - Hilton Hawaiian Village - first time for Grandparents

Big Island 6n/7d- Hilton Waikoloa (week of Christmas)

Maui 3n/4d - Outrigger Royal Kahana condos (after Christmas)

Trip 2

Depart 12/17/2009

Maui 6n/7d - Outrigger Royal Kahana condos (week B4 Christmas)

Big Island 6n/7d - Hilton Waikoloa Resort (week of Christmas)

Trip 3

Depart 12/16/2010

Maui 7n/8d - Outrigger Royal Kahana condos (week B4 Christmas)

Big Island 6n/7d - Kingsland HGV condos (week of Christmas) timeshare pitch

We LOVE Maui because of the Whales so we decided to stay longer in the beginning of the trip. We LOVE the Hilton because we use points, however, this year, we received a call from HGV and got a great deal on the condo and we can save our points for next year. I really like Kauai, however, it is really too laid back for us, but we are definately planning on returning to Kauai in the very near future.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
403 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: X-mas in Hawaii? Which Island & Resort have you stayed at?

Thanks everyone for all the help and info.

We have decided to stay clear of Kauai. We get enough rain over here in England (might even flood in the neighboring towns tonight!). I won't complain too much as it is better than the Chicago winters I was born and raised in.

Now back to sunny, hot Hawaii. I think for certainwe will stay at the Four Seasons in Maui (if they are kind enough to give us a room) for Christmas and 3 days either side as required. We won't have trouble booking the Four Seasons on the Big Island for a few nights before. I did not realize it was so far from VNP which is a must for us.

I am not looking at condos as the only time I want to life a finger is when I put food or drink to my lips. I am a servant to my seven year old year round so two and half weeks off from any work should not be too much to ask.

I will look at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu and the Hilton Waikoloa Resort on the BI as I have heard they are great places for kids.

The Four Seasons Lanai is still in the running for Christmas week if we don't get a place at the Four Season's Maui. Anyone been there for Christams?

Many thanks to everyone. I didn't know so many would respond and it ha all been very helpful.