We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta cancels nonstops MSP-HNL

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Delta cancels nonstops MSP-HNL

Delta has just cancelled the nonstop flights from Minneapolis to Honolulu on their nice A-330 planes starting February 21st. The current announcement states that this is only until May 1st, but I wouldn't hold my breath for them to return.

This follows Delta cancelling the nonstops from Detroit to Honolulu this fall. So this fuels my (and most people at the old NWA hubs) that Delta is focusing on their headquarters in Atlanta. There are TWO nonstops a day from ATL to HNL.

So I am lucky this coming winter, as I am going to Lana`i in January, but it is certainly up in the air for 2012. The connecting flights via the west coast all land too late for me to catch the last flight from Honolulu to Lana`i. We could fly to Atlanta, but would have to leave MSP at about 5 am to catch the flight out of ATL. So I may start looking into the Carribean as a more convenient way to escape the cold white north every winter.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,416 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta cancels nonstops MSP-HNL

Aloha,

DrV, what horrible news!! Tell Delta they have to reconsider---Lana'i needs you!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta cancels nonstops MSP-HNL

This is awful. Your love for Lanai shines through your posts. And Swmarket is right; Lanai does need you.

I know many people enjoy the Caribbean, but every time i talk to someone who has been there the same bad things come up: bugs, bad food, and, depending on where you go, violent crime.

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta cancels nonstops MSP-HNL

Caribbean - friendly people, amazing beaches, great food. Check out Coco LaPalm in Negril, owned and visited by many folks from Minnesota. Many people love the shorter flights and there are many islands to visit.

Hawaii has its own wonderful qualities and magic, Beauty and great vacations can be found in many places in the world.

Edited: 15 November 2010, 19:16
Canada
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta cancels nonstops MSP-HNL

>>>> Delta has just cancelled the nonstop flights from Minneapolis to Honolulu on their nice A-330 planes starting February 21st <<<<<<<

Heard about this about a month ago( FlyerTalk forums)...very disappointing and curious as the route is quite full for most of the dates throughout the winter.

We fly down from Canada to catch that flight. Luckiiy, our next flights are in December/ Jan this year. The options seem to be limited for next year... Air Canada still flies the new 767s thankfully.....to HNL, OGG, KOA...most days through YVR.(Star Alliance) It's another option for us.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta cancels nonstops MSP-HNL

Do they not have directs from Salt Lake City anymore?

Also, Alaska has a direct flight from Minneapolis to Seattle that would get you to SEA in time to get a late afternoon flight to OGG.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta cancels nonstops MSP-HNL

Well it looks like I need to get on the FlyerTalk forums too. This info finally made it into the Minneapolis paper yesterday.

I am not ready to give up on Lana`i yet, but my options are less favorable without the nonstop. I need Lana`i as much as it needs me! I already sent an e-mail to Delta last winter when they decreased the non-stops from daily to 5 days/week, then to 4 days a week. I got the standard form reply letter.

Yes, I can go through Salt Lake, but that would mean catching a flight out of MSP at 7:30 am just to make the connection (that is over 4 hours earlier than the nonstop from MSP-HNL). And then I would get in about 45 minutes earlier to HNL, but would still have to wait for the 6:30 pm Island Air flight to Lana`i. That would make my already very long travel day over 4 hours longer. And then there is the concern about weather delays going through Salt Lake (I already worry about the weather in Minneapolis). So one can see why a shorter flight without jet lag to the Carribean is starting to appeal to me.

And I haven't even checked into the return flight details without the nonstop. I really appreciate having at least 6+ straight hours of sleep on the nonstop flight home (thanks to the comfortable seats on the A-330 with a first class upgrade and an Ambien). ;-)

We got so spoiled here in Minneapolis with the NWA hub and all the nonstop options. It is definately getting harder with Delta in charge.

Edited: 15 November 2010, 22:30
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,226 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta cancels nonstops MSP-HNL

:o(

And I bet Delta made all kinds of promises to the NW hubs that they are now reneg-ing on!

Livermore...
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delta cancels nonstops MSP-HNL

If you are willing go United They have a DEN-HNL flight that leaves around noon and gets into Honolulu aroung 4:30. There's also UAL 63 which goes DEN-OGG at about the same time.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,159 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Delta cancels nonstops MSP-HNL

Chicago? (If we're snowed in, you probably are, too!) United MAY still have a non-stop to Maui. I know they and AA still have direct flights to HNL.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delta cancels nonstops MSP-HNL

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. The problem is I have been so spoiled for the last 20 years, that I want a nonstop way to get to Honolulu. I already have to connect to get to Lana`i, so I am trying to make the rest of the trip easier.

Like I said, I will just see how things work out in the long run. In the meantime, I plan to especially enjoy Lana`i this winter.