We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best snorkeling spot on ANY of the islands in November?

Phoenix
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Best snorkeling spot on ANY of the islands in November?

I am currently on Oahu and I have been to Hanauma Bay 3x, and several other places around Oahu.

I have a couple days left and I would like to take a day trip centered around snorkeling. I am willing and able to fly to one of the other islands to snorkel.

I just would like the absolute best spot(s) to snorkel during this time of the year. I know marine life viewing is not guaranteed, but I would like to increase my chances. We have not seen any turtles yet, dolphins would be amazing, and I personally would like to see a juvenile shark. o_O

Also, what are the times of day/night to go?

And any other tips appreciated!

Mahalo! =)

Phoenix
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best snorkeling spot on ANY of the islands in November?

As an addendum the fiance likes to stick closer to shore, and her preference would be to see tons of fish and turtles close by, clear waters, good viewing.

Also, whats the trick to getting your mask not to fog! =P

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,041 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best snorkeling spot on ANY of the islands in November?

The best snorkeling anywhere in Hawaii is on the Big Island. I'm not familiar with the spots though as I have never been there.

Second best is Maui, you would want to go anywhere in the south part of the island. Ulua Beach in Wailea and Maluaka in Makena, are my favorite on that side.

What we prefer and what is reality are generally not compatible. Your wife may see something close to shore at Maluaka, but not necessarily. The best places to see marine life up close is on the north shore of Maui and at this time the surf is too high to do much snorkeling. You should be able to see turtles at these beaches on Maui. Dolphins are generally not seen while snorkeling because they are out in very deep water. Only place I've seen dolphins is by boat or off the leeward coast of Oahu. I've snorkeled Hawaii for almost 10 years and have never seen a shark. Reef sharks are around, I've just never seen them!!

You can go to Snorkel Bob's and purchase (cheap) some de-fogger for your mask. Others spit in them and it works but I was told that can cause eye infections!! A mixture of baby shampoo and water also works but with the cost of baby shampoo in Hawaii it's cheaper to buy the de-fogger.

Best time to snorkel anywhere here is in the morning.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best snorkeling spot on ANY of the islands in November?

I like Ulua Beach and Maluaka Beach in South Maui.

The pictures you can see if you follow the link below, where shot from those two beaches. Some of the above water stuff was taken where we were staying in West Maui. the shots with the big puffer fish were taken at Kapalua Bay (I think). We only snorkled from shore.

travel.webshots.com/album/575203645BjHyVd

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,669 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best snorkeling spot on ANY of the islands in November?

It's EASY to see turtles on the Big Island. More like where will you not see them -- on land. You should stay back from them in the water.

Recommend a morning snorkel to Kealakekua Bay, but that means a really early flight. If money were no object, I'd come over the night before and stay the night, easier to start fresh in the morning.

Kahalu'u just south of Kailua Kona is the snorkel from shore spot most immune to weather, but if there were a swell coming in, nothing is guaranteed. Check the marine situation on NOAA Hawaii now, before you make plans.

5. Re: Best snorkeling spot on ANY of the islands in November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2011, 06:16