We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?!

glasgow
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?!

Hi,

I am planning my first trip to Hawaii and am looking for advice on which island is best for a romantic beach break in August 2011.

We will be travelling to Hawaii from Las Vegas and leaving to go to NY to connect to our flight to the UK.

We have been considering the west coast of Maui and have been told that it probably has the best beaches. As we are on holiday for 3 weeks, our accomodation cant be too expensive, should i consider a condo? or is a hotel best?

Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Lindsey

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?!

"our accomodation cant be too expensive"

Define too expensive in dollars, what is your interest, go to the library, read up some books.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?!

West Maui is lovely but I'd also take a look at the North Shore of Kauai...August is a wonderful time there. Hit the book store and by "Hawaii for Dummies"...sorry title but great info. What is your nightly budget for housing, in US dollars please.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?!

With three weeks you *could* stay on three islands -- or two -- or only Maui.

Mamma0233 is right, August would be a great time to stay north on Kauai!

Will you fly in and out of Honolulu? Do you want to see the sights on Oahu?

It looks like we are back to the need to decide first *which* island or islands interest you. The "Dummies" book is a quick read that should help you decide. Then the forum can help with lodgings.

You will need to budget for a rental car everywhere except in Honolulu, which has a good public bus system.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,323 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?!

Back up ... Pick-up a copy of Hawaii for Dummies (forgive the title) and read about your options. Also get a good map. www.gohawaii.com may be helpful.

How many nights will you be in Hawaii?? With 10 or more, you may want to see two islands. You say that you have a 3 week holiday ... but is that for Hawaii only - or does it include your other stops??

Will you rent a car? This is a big question, as you will need a car on all of the major islands except Honolulu on Oahu. Even there, a car would be handy to explore the island.

"Too expensive ..." doesn't really mean much to us. What is your nightly accomodations budget in U.S. dollars? A condo or hotel/resort ... that's your decision. Condos are good if you need more room or want to cook. You need to decide what is best.

The west coast of Maui (either South Maui or West Maui) is a great place to stay with wonderful beaches. Kauai is another good choice. Again, the car will be a factor.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?!

Sue, I read that 3 weeks to include Vegas and New York plus travel. linz, could you let us know?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?!

Mamma -- You know, that dawned on me last night when I was going to bed! (Get a LIFE, Sue!) I was thinking about this poster's plans and wondering if they are spending a lot of time on the mainland -- and if they realize how HOT it will be in Vegas in August.

Lindsey -- I think most of us on this forum will urge you to spend no more than two nights Vegas. Consider reversing your trip order: Longer stay in NYC first; short stop in Vegas on your return. When the bulk of one of my extended trips is over, I'm ready to get home.

My thinking is that you can fly direct to Honolulu on a decent aircraft from Newark (outside NYC). That way you'd still be 'fresh' for the Big Apple.

So...how long DO you plan to stay in each place? Will you need to fly in and out of Honolulu? (If you go to another island or islands, that means more expense, and more time in airports.)

You would save at a condo because you wouldn't need to eat out all the time. IMO condos are only practical if you're staying in one for at least a full week.

7. Re: Where to stay?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2011, 05:24