We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

for my husband's 50th.....

Oshawa
Level Contributor
228 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
for my husband's 50th.....

i would love to visit hawaii with him... will have many questions over the next few months, but my first question will be what island to stay on? i know he will definately want to see pearl harbour and i think seeing a volcano up close would be amazing too. we will probably do air and hotel seperately. someone did mention though that food is very expensive in hawaii.... is this true? maybe i will look into a hotel that at least gives us breakfast each morning.... thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: for my husband's 50th.....

How much time will you have? That will determine the recommendations on which or how many islands to do.

You could do Oahu to get in Pearl Harbor and then the Big Island for the volcano. Perhaps a week on each?

As for being expensive, I have heard Maui can be the most expensive of the islands. I have not been to that island though so I will leave it for others to confirm that.

I see you are from Ontario. Price is all relative. We are Canadian as well. This is my opinion, but I think many of the high price comments come from mainland U.S.A tourists. Obviously prices of groceries, etc. and restaurants, would understandably be more expensive than other places in the U.S.A. because of items needing to be shipped to the islands.

When we went to the Big Island we rented a car for a month and then again for a week on Oahu. The gas prices had gone up a lot at that time in the U.S. and we heard over and over people complaining of the high gas prices and how they were even higher in Hawaii. The funny thing is the gas price was still cheaper then what we were paying in Canada when you worked it out. So we were quite happy with the price!

We found groceries to be quite comparable to what we were paying at home and some things even cheaper. Restaurants were no different, there were a wide range of prices available. I think you can make eating out as cheap or as pricey as you want. We have a blog of our 5 weeks spent between the Big Island and Oahu. We did a lot of self catering, but I have tried to give as much info about the places we ate and provide lots of pictures. travelfootprints.ca/category/north-america/u… and here travelfootprints.ca/category/…oahu

Cheers:)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: for my husband's 50th.....

How many nights?

I would not get a hotel simply because it offers a free breakfast. It's included in the hotel rate. And there are many places that have inexpensive breakfasts.

Plus you may want to leave the hotel early to tour the island or for an attraction & skip breakfast or get it on the run.

Plus it is nice to sample different restaurants in Hawaii.

Restaurants do not have to be expensive in Hawaii. There is a huge range from inexpensive to average to expensive to really expensive restaurants.

Big Island is the only island with active lava.

Pearl Harbor is on Oahu.

So it makes sense to visit those islands.

But Maui & Kauai are also nice.

All of the islands have volcanic craters. Most are inactive.

Other than Big Island, Haleakala on Maui is still considered an active volcano as there is a possibility of an eruption, though the last one was over 200 years ago.

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

On the Oahu forum, on the left side of the page click on Travel Guide. Lots of info from TripAdvisor members.

On the Oahu forum, on the right side of the page, click on the Top Questions.

Do the same on the Maui forum, the Kauai forum & the island of Hawaii forum.

For a free Hawaii planner & a free planner for each island:

1-800-GOHAWAII

3. Re: for my husband's 50th.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2011, 05:17