We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In need of waterproof camera

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
167 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
In need of waterproof camera

Any suggestions on a good ( but fairly inexpensive) waterproof igital camera? I have review after review and many are slow at taking a pic or the quality isnt good. Would love to get a camera that i dont have to worry about with a lil water or sand. Thanks!

New York
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In need of waterproof camera

Canon PowerShot D10 is a pretty good underwater camera.

If you don't want to buy, you could rent

www.borrowlenses.com/

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,267 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In need of waterproof camera

Hop through the major island forums with a search. This comes up alot -- and there are some excellent threads.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In need of waterproof camera

I lOVE my Canon D-10. I have taken some great honu shots using this camera! I'm on Blackberry right now, so I can't dig up the link. But, if you do a search of D-10 in the search bar, you should find a link to the pictures. As a matter of fact, I took my avitar honu picture with my D-10

Kona Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In need of waterproof camera

The Canon D10 gets lots of recommendations for a camera for snorkeling, several of the other companies make "tough" cameras that are capable of being underwater to shallow depths. There are underwater housings available for LOTS of the current point and shoot cameras that give you full control and are good to about 130 feet. You can probably round up a housed major named brand entry level camera for under $300 these days if you check around.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
167 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In need of waterproof camera

I have a canon sd 770 is which i love, but the waterproof case for it, is almost 200 bucks, thats about as much as i paid for the camera itself, crazy! lol ill have to keep looking, the canon mentioned looks nice, but not quite sold on it yet

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In need of waterproof camera

my vote for canon D10 too. You can do a search in google to read its reviews.

Kona Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In need of waterproof camera

I'd think the question would be whether the Canon D10 or similar water resistant camera is incrementally better than the SD770 enough to justify spending the money for a new camera. It'd take some fairly intense looking at the review sites to really compare the two cameras. Some of the "underwater" cameras aren't necessarily considered to match their topside only counterparts in photo quality. BH photo has the housing for 170 bucks, free shipping in US. I've used them for a few housings over the years with good luck. There's always a possibility with either a housed camera or an "underwater" camera that there could be a failure in the water resistance, but I've yet to see a housed Canon fail other than by owner error.

8. Re: In need of waterproof camera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2012, 05:16