We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How I Spent My Spring Vacation!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,935 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How I Spent My Spring Vacation!!

This is going to be a little bit Oahu and a little bit of Maui. My sister came to visit from Colorado on the 5th of March.

Day 1: Drove to the airport to pick her up. United flight on time and luggage arrived in just a few minutes. Back home to our condo just outside of Waikiki and had a quiet evening with sister chit chat and Longboard Beer.

Day 2: Went to Duke's for breakfast buffet. 14.95 all you can eat and had a leisurely breakfast with mimosa's enough to be feeling good!! We went to Kuhio Beach, rented chairs and umbrella and spent the next few hours lounging, swimming and snorkeling. Had a few pupu's at home for dinner and early to bed.

Day 3: Up and out the door early for our trip to the north shore. Traveling the Kalanianaole Hwy. we stopped at the Halona Blow Hole, and Hanauma Bay. On our way again, along the highway, stopping at Kaiona Beach Park (just found out this is a great snorkeling spot) and Waimanalo Beach Park (to show her where we hold our Humpback Whales Sanctuary Ocean count), and then headed to Kamahamaha Hwy. to get to the north shore. Kualoa Ranch and Chinaman's hat were our next stops. Next stop was Kokololio Beach Park to check out beach erosion, as last time we were there, the beach was practically gone. It's coming back !! Yeah!! On to Haleiwa for lunch and shopping. Had lunch at Cholo's (sp)? good mexican food and bought a few sundress at a shop in this complex. Sorry, don't remember the name!!

We then decided to back track and check out Laniakea Beach. Two turtles were out of the water and a couple hanging out playing in the waves. On our way once more and were lucky enough for early afternoon to get a parking spot at Waimea Bay. Changed into swimwear, got the cooler and umbrella and headed to the beach. Waves were too big for me to get in but a good time was had on the beach until it started pouring rain. After getting drenched, even with the umbrella, we decided to head on home and came through the Pali into Honolulu and back to the condo. Still full from lunch, we again dined on pupu's and Primo Beer.

Day 3: Shopping day!! Hubby had to go back to work so sis and I hopped on the bus and headed to Ala Moana. We shopped until we dropped (new swimsuit for me), sis had to buy the summer things she couldn't get in Colorado!! Home again on TheBus.

Day 4: Off to Maui. Oh, I was so excited, poor hubby had to stay home and work, poor guy!! Left for the airport at 7:30 for a 9:00am flight. A bit of traffic to get through but of course, most of it was flowing the opposite direction. Checked in, sat around and finally boarding time and we were on our way. We were in Maui by 9:30am, picked up the checked luggage, got the shuttle to Dollar Rental Car (upgraded from compact to mid-sized at no extra charge, am I lucky or what)? and we were off to the Queen Kaahumanu Shopping Center by 10:00am. Took about 15 min. to get what we came for and headed toward Kapalua Bay. I had packed a beach bag with everything we needed for the beach as our carry on. Only thing I had to get out of the suitcase was the sunscreen and mask de-fogger. Did this before we left the shopping center. The drive up to Kapalua Bay via Honoapiilani Hwy was just spectacular. Whales everywhere were seen along the shore line. Going through Lahaina was a real treat as I had not seen the final stages of the highway widening. I couldn't believe how much time we saved!! We were sitting on Kapalua Bay by 11:00am!! It was so much fun snorkeling Kapalua again. Saw all my fishies, and yes, they missed me!! We stayed until 2:30pm and then head toward my favorite, south Maui.

I was lucky in that I got a package deal through the Hawaiian Airlines web-site for flights, 4 days car rental and 3 days hotel for two for a grand total of 1150.00, staying at, you guessed it, The Makena Beach and Golf Resort. Ahh, now this is paradise. Valet parking is included in the resort fee so we arrived, turned the car over to the valet's, were given shell lei and proceeded to check in. Cool towels were offered to refresh with while checking in. We were given an upgrade to partial ocean view, how lucky am I? Note: these partial ocean views are to die for. Not a little sliver but we could see Puu Olai, Kaaholawe and Lanai. We showered, unpacked and walked the beach. Back to the room for dinner, room service couldn't have been any better!! Didn't sleep much, too excited about being back on Maui.

Day 5: Total relaxation day. Had room service bring up breakfast, a few mimosa's and down to the beach. The beach service included chairs, but umbrella's are extra. No problem, I need shade!! Snorkeled, watched the whales frolic off shore and dreamed about going on my favorite boat the next day for a Molokini/Turtle Town excursion. Snorkeling Maluaka gives me very mixed feelings. I love to snorkel here but the sediment from the construction has been very detrimental to the reef. I have snorkeled here enough to know when something isn't right, and it isn't. Breaks my heart. Still enough fish to see, but no turtles this day. We went up to the pool for a late lunch, the cabana's here are first come, first served, so under the cabana we sat for the rest of the day. They are in bad shape, the hotel has started renovations, but you wouldn't know it by looking. I'm sure the cabana's will bring in big bucks when they get new ones, but for now, they don't charge! I drink some tropical mango alcohol filled smoothies and had a great time with sis, talking to the sisters next to us from Canada. Finally drug ourselves up off the pool deck, went to our room, showered, watched the Kings Speech on pay per view and promptly went to bed. I was listening to the radio when I heard there was a 7.9 earthquake in Japan. There was a tsunami advisory. No big deal, shook sis, she mumbled and went back to sleep. About a half an hour later, I heard on the radio that the tsunami advisory turned into a warning. JUMPED out of bed and woke the sis. Promptly looked in the local phone book for the tsunami inundation zones. We're cool, just outside the zone and on the 5th floor, nothing to worry about. The hotel kept us informed by updates printed and put underneath the door. Being in Makena felt a bit isolated and you could barely hear the sirens going off, but I never felt anything but well taken care of. I called the hubby, we told each other to stay safe and then the phone calls kept coming. Seems everyone we know on the mainland knew we were on Maui (by ourselves no less) and just had to check up on us. We tried sleeping 3 different times, it just didn't work. The TV was on and again I was a bit frustrated about the news coming out of Oahu but not much from what was happening on Maui. I did hear the mayor of Maui say they would be closing down the wast water treatment plant and I knew what that meant. No running water. No toilet. The hotel staff was spectacular in this regard. You just called a number on the phone, they would come by with bottled water and buckets to fill the tanks of the toilets. Sometime after midnight, you could see lights on the water. All the boats from the surrounding area's were taking them out to sea as to not get any damage. I also knew what that meant, no going on my boat trip. I was disappointed, but in the scheme of things, not a biggie either. Finally fell asleep about 5:00am and up and 8:00am. The hotel was serving pastries and water in the lobby. We did have the bottled water already so was able to make coffee, drink that and down to the lobby we went. By the time we got down there, about 8:45am, the water was back on the the restaurants open. Had the breakfast buffet, not bad. When the all clear was given, we went back to the beach. It was recommended not to get into the water as the currents and rip tides could be bad. Didn't have to tell me twice. Of course, others weren't so smart!! There was a huge amount of debris on the beach and in the water, the hotel staff was cleaning the beach. We walked up and down it helping out picking up trash etc. After that we sat on the beach for hours watching the whales. They were out in force this day. Breaching, pec slaps, tail slaps you name it, we saw it. Not as good as the boat tour, but at least we saw our whales!! That evening we headed down to the Shops at Wailea for dinner. Did a bit of shopping, ate at Ruth Chris, good meal, and headed back for our final night. Drank champagne on the lanai, looked at the magnificient stars and went to bed before 9:00pm. Slept well that night!!

Day 6: Did the breakfast buffet again. Had a late check out at 1:00 so went back to the beach. Still too much debris in the water to snorkel, but did a little swimming. Went back to the room, showered, packed and it was time to go. Check out was smooth, drove down Kihei Rd. not seeing any damage and plenty of people in the water. Stopped by Snorkel Bob's to return the fins I rented on the way in and then headed toward the airport. Rental car return was fast and efficient, and check in for our flight was uneventful. For some reason, I never found out, our flight was delayed for half and hour. For me, no biggie but others weren't too happy. Back in Oahu by 4:30pm. hubby glad to greet us and hear about our great adventure.

Day 7: Back at home, decided to check out Foster's Botanical Gardens. Spent hours looking at all the wonderful tree's and flowers. Especially like the orchid house and butterfly garden. Stayed in Sunday evening to watch the Amazing Race and eat pizza for dinner, along with the Longboard.

Day 8: Stayed around home in the morning then went to the Aloha Tower Market Place. Checked out all the shops, the tower and then went to Gordon (something or other), for a late lunch. Food was just so so, service very lacking. Don't think I'll bother to go back.

Day 9: This was stay home day. Darn it life gets in the way when your having fun. Cleaning, laundry, you get my drift!!

Day 10: International Market Place Day. I know a lot of people don't like this place but I do. They have exactly the kind of sun dresses I like to wear around the house, at good prices. Sis had a great time buying souvenirs for all the folks back home. Went to Dukes' for dinner this night. Table at the rail. For the first time, my steak was rare instead of medium well. I told the server who profusely apologized, the manager bringing it back a few minutes later, again apologizing and adding free Hula Pie for dessert. Now, who is lucky or what?!!

Day 11: Stay at home during the day. Sis isn't much of a beach person so I didn't push it. Besides, we had a big evening ahead. Happy hour at Rum Fire. Oh my goodness, did we get happy. Service was impeccable, the pupu's out of this world. Left, taking TheBus home, which was a good thing!!

Day 12: This is the day the sis leaves to go back home. Just one more thing she needs to see, Iolani Palace. We took TheBus to the palace. Did their 12.00 audio self tour. No need for reservations. Spent a couple of hours and returned back home. Packing, having dinner, one last beer and off to the airport. Sis won't let us stick around, we hate goodbye's and off through security she went. Flew the red eye through LAX back to Colorado Springs. She arrived back home this morning about 10:30am Colorado time.

Last thoughts: I want to go back to Maui!! 4 days isn't enough. Even though I've been to all the places on Oahu I mentioned in this report, more than once, it's good to get out and see it all again and again and again!!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,630 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How I Spent My Spring Vacation!!

Wonderful! Exciting! Touching! (Sounds like the review for a movie, right?)

Mahalo, Little Lady from Colorado...and Maui...and Oahu. lol

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,369 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How I Spent My Spring Vacation!!

Great report. Your attitude was so upbeat and helpful during what must have been a stressful time.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,393 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How I Spent My Spring Vacation!!

Yea..you did get to snorkel a little and see the whales. I had wondered if you been able to. what a fun time you and your sis had. Sister time is special. She'll have to return when you can spend more time on Maui.

Last Sept I didn;t see any turtles, and I always see them in the same area. Didn't think about the construction.

Good to hear your "we're safe" tsunami report.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,660 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How I Spent My Spring Vacation!!

The Puu view is my favorite. Sorry to hear about the runoff.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,633 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How I Spent My Spring Vacation!!

Nice trip report.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How I Spent My Spring Vacation!!

Great report - a semi 'stay-cation' (what a word) - sounds like you had a good time and we all know that 4 days is a drop in the bucket on Maui, but for you especially brief.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How I Spent My Spring Vacation!!

Great time Ms fuzz! There's nothing like happy family visits. Glad the Ruths Chris meal was good. My wife's dad owned 4 of them, so it's always good to hear a nice experience there.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How I Spent My Spring Vacation!!

Great trip report! Lots of excitement too!

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How I Spent My Spring Vacation!!

Thanks MsFuzz for the very entertaining and unique trip report. (No jet lag for you huh? hee....hee) Nice to hear about your stay in South Maui to a guy doing job related work most of his Spring Vacation.

And you do like Maui don't you? I certainly can't blame you...of course you must go to Kaua'i soon (Kauai TA made me say that). You think maybe sistah you be staying in Oahu so long, someday you gonna go party down in Las Vegas instead of Maui? LOL (I hear they have lots of great sundresses there due to the climate....Ha...Ha!)

Aloha MsFuzzy from Caddy!

Edited: 19 March 2011, 18:41
10. Re: How I Spent My Spring Vacation!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 23:16