We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report -back to business Honolulu

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report -back to business Honolulu

Aloha all -

I just spent the last week on a pretty packed business trip, but thought I would share my notes.

Day 1, 4/2, arrive @ around 1:00PM, grabbed the car, and headed to Waikiki. I stopped at the Safeway on Kapahulu on my way to the Marriott. This is the nicest safeway I've ever seen. In addition, they had better apple bananas than my SIL could even get me from the farmers market.

Got to the hotel, sipping my Hawaiian Sun light, waiting for SIL to join me, so we could go out for the evening. While I was enjoying the spectacular view - I saw a puff, then a fluke. This is the first time I have seen a whale fluke on Oahu and stunned that it was @ Waikiki.

SIL gets to the hotel (brings me my beach chairs). I show her to park at Waikiki banyon. She has lived on island close to 30 years and didn't know about this awesome deal. Amberloo - my whole family thanks you for this one!

I change, we go grab a bite at Wolfgang Puck's. It's fine but not great. We then go see the Doobies and War @ Blaisdell - great fun. A bunch of friends/neighbors joined us.

Next morning (Sunday) was my only day off. DH and I eat Starbucks breakfast in the room , then head out to go pick up my printing from kinkos (work stuff - prep for the upcoming week's meetings). We decided to go to the other side to get our favorite sandwich - the bhan mi from Lemongrass in Kailua. We have SIL meet us to eat on the beach. This is my only opportunity to walk the beach - it was lovely. We ran into a neighbor and got to catch up. I love Kailua Beach!

Monday AM - I'm off to work, had a good busy day. I had planned to take associates to Indigo, but it's closed Monday. Instead we had a nice meal just up the block @ Epic. I had kalua pork something - remember that I liked it, but don't remember much else about it.

After I was done for the day, DH and I went to Ala Moana to do a little shopping and eat.

Tuesday - Took a client to lunch @ Mariposa, had the Ono - it was ono! My favorite is really the popover and plantation iced tea. I took another client out for pupus @ Ryans - it was ok, not as teriffic as people seem to say.

Wed - didn't have a business lunch, but had a dinner - Chai's Island bistro - it was great. I had the steamed Opakapaka, yummy. As we were ending dinner the Bothers Cazemaro (sp?) Were playing. This was very nice.

Thursday - visit clients in Hilo. We had lunch @ Hilo Bay Cafe, which never dissapoints. I had a killer Kalua Pork sandwich - it was so good. After our appointments, we stopped @ Big Island Candies - my favorite!

Arrived back @ HNL around 5:00pm, just in time to go to the other side to go to the farmers market in Kailua. I had a "healthy" dinner of: fried green tomatos, banana lumpia and fresh ginger ale. All of my favorites! Bought my ginger juice to bring home.

Friday was my last day - had back to back meetings, ending with pupus at Gordon Biersch - fine but not great.

A few things to note - I would bring Leonard's Malasadas to my AM meetings. There is always a line of tourists waiting in line but not knowing what to order. They have heard that Leonard's is good, but they don't seem to know about malasadas. So, if you go to Leonard's and wait in line - get malasadas in addition to the other items you might want. Try filled and plain to see what you prefer.

We brought Royal Kitchen manapua to some appointmets and to Hilo. This is th best manapua I have ever eaten. They will prepare boxes to fly home of you like. I don't know where this is though (I know its in town, just not exactly where), as I had it picked up by staff. Worth figuring out!

Flew out on the 7:00 this morning (waking up at 4:00 killed me!). I'm home, and back to the regular grind.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,322 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report -back to business Honolulu

Nice trip report.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,207 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report -back to business Honolulu

Packed with useful info! Um...where is 'home' now?

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report -back to business Honolulu

A busy trip, but you had a good time - those little things make a difference.

I must say that < I had a "healthy" dinner of: fried green tomatos, banana lumpia and fresh ginger ale.> sounds wonderful!

Thanks for the enjoyable report.

Edited: 10 April 2011, 16:26
Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report -back to business Honolulu

We still have the house in Kailua (and that's where my heart is!) But this morning I woke up in my own bed in No. Ca - near Napa.

My goal is to move back in two years when my oldest graduates high school. The need to pay for private school was one factor that caused us to move back to ca.

Those fried green tomatos are amazing!

5. Re: Trip report -back to business Honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 12:18