We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Hawaii

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Hiking in Hawaii

I almost hate to ask this question because I know how broad it is......but thats sorta why I am asking it.

I am in the very early stages of planning my trip to hawaii, so at this point I have no limitations on where I might go.

I love to hike, and the main reason I am going to hawaii it for the beautiful lush scenery. (i'll enjoy the beach...but its hiking in the green I am looking for)

So...I'll ask lol Where are the best places to hike in Hawaii. I'd like to find some day/half day hikes. Something that can take ya off the beaten path a bit. I enjoy seeing some remote places. Rianforest, waterfalls, green covered mountains. I would love to see it all:)

ANyway this is sorta my first post, if you all can help me get going in the ride direction I would appreciate it:)

Cheers

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,069 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in Hawaii

You might like Kaua`i. It's lush and green on the north shore, and the south/;west side has Waimea Canyon, sometimes called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. Lots of hiking on all sides.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,536 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in Hawaii

Kauai or the Big Island. :)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,930 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in Hawaii

Kauai & Maui.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in Hawaii

Kauai and Oahu! People tend to write off Oahu as all overdeveloped, but there are plenty of excellent trails with beautiful scenery.

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking in Hawaii

My votes are first Kauai, then Maui.

As pzp said there are a variety of hikes on Kauai. I particularly like the Hanakapi'ai portion of the Kalalau Trail, Nualolo and Awaawapuhi trails out to the top of the cliffs of the Napali coast and Mahaulepo trail along the Poipu coast. On Maui, I like the Waihe'e Ridge trail north of Wailuku and the Pipwai trail at Ohe'o Gulch.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,928 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking in Hawaii

There are awesome trails for hiking on each island. I don't think any island is better for hiking, just different. Try looking at Na Ala Hele, the state trail system and see if there is something there that strikes your fancy.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking in Hawaii

Get one or more of Kathy Morey's books and see which appeals the most...she is very realistic about times and difficulty levels

www.amazon.com/Kathy-Morey/e/B001KMH67C

8. Re: Hiking in Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2012, 09:17