We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

positive and negative's

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
positive and negative's

Of booking with VBRO?

Thank You

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,536 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: positive and negative's

I have only had positive experiences, but I would make sure I had quite a bit of communication & lots of photos to know what I was getting. Often people post about specific properties and while everyone has an opinion, at least knowing someone else has been there can be reasuring. Where and what are you looking at or for? :)

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: positive and negative's

Hi Coalminer

I remember getting help from you.

When we went to Alaska.

We wish to do Maui and Kaui.

Thinking of a week each.

Two adult traveling mid March 2012.

About $200 to $300 per night

Prefer location with minimum amount of children.

Thank You

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,536 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: positive and negative's

Any specifics - like the amenities? condo or cottage/house type of a place?

Most folks will recommend the southern areas of the islands for the sunniest weather during that time of year. I would think to check out the Kaanapali area of Maui and the Poipu area on Kauai. I would post this on each island for the best and most specific help. I would go to Maui first, and then Kauai. Have fun with your planning! :)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,159 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: positive and negative's

If you've never visited Hawaii before, you might like to combine Oahu + either Maui or Kauai. I'd choose Maui since you'll be coming in Whale Season; they are most abundant off Maui. Also, Kauai is best in summer, when its' most gorgeous northern part is dryer.

Oahu is more than just Honolulu. It's a beautiful tropical island once you are outside the city. Also, your best flight would be Newark-Honolulu -- nonstop on a wide-body aircraft.

March is a very popular time in Hawaii. Don't wait long to make your reservations for condos AND for rental cars.

As for VRBO, it's good to be able to select a specific unit, not be assigned at random out of an agency rental pool. See photos. Ask questions. Read the guest comments. Note how long the property has been advertised. Ask who will take care of any problems that might occur while you are in the unit. (Best if the owner lives on island or employs an agency on island. Not great if the contact is just the cleaner or a realtor.) You can also check with the complex manager to make sure the unit is owned as represented and is not in arrears or for sale.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: positive and negative's

One obvious negative is that the unit could be in foreclosure or go into foreclosure, and could be unavailable with no deposit back. Get VRBO insurance, and communicate well with the owner.

Vacation rental purchases in the last 6-7 years were often over-leveraged with the hope of greater occupancy at higher rates, then the recession hit tourism.

Also make sure that the on-island management is not just a contact or a housekeeper, as things like you locking yourself out or an appliance breaking do happen.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,226 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: positive and negative's

midon1 - you should create a separate post.

7. Re: positive and negative's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 20:16