We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best way to travel between Islands

Boston...
2 posts
Save Topic
The best way to travel between Islands

My husband and I are going to go to Hawaii for the first time and we are planning to be there for about 16 days. We are thinking spending most of our times on The Big Island. We are thinking about going to Oahu for a couple of days. What is the best way to travel between the two island and which is cheapest?

Mentioned in this post
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,669 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best way to travel between Islands

Fly. It's the only way to get between the major islands.

Count your nights, not your days.

While I don't recommend the Big Island for first-timers, at least split your nights between Oahu and the Big Island.

Try to arrange your flights from the Mainland such that you fly into your first island and home from your second island.

Mentioned in this post
Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best way to travel between Islands

Personally I think it is swimming :)

But that isn't an option for most people. So planes have to do.

Curious how you chose the Big Island as your choice of place to stay. I like it okay, but it is very different from all the other islands as it tends to be drier than most.

We like Kauai the best because it is so tropical and Oahu because that is where most of the most famous attractions are. We also enjoy the night life in Honolulu.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,453 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best way to travel between Islands

Plan on using Hawaiian Airlines, as they're the most reliable and have the best schedule. Book your tickets as soon as possible, as the low-fare seats go fast.

Once you decide on your islands try to get a flight from home into the first and out of the second.

Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The best way to travel between Islands

Thanks for your comments. Well we wanted to go to Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park and catch a coffee festitval since we plan to go in Nov.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best way to travel between Islands

Well I for one think you will love the BI! Our first several trips were split between Kauai and the BI. Be prepared to drive, but the vistas are truely amazing all over the island and VNP is simply surreal.

As stated the best advice is to fly into the BI and then end your trip with a few days on Oahu and fly from there using Hawaiian for the interisland leg.

I'd stay Kona side and fly in and out of KOA.

So jealous...I've always wanted to attend the coffee festival! Love me that Kona coffee...just got another shipment today!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
South Carolina
Level Contributor
42 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best way to travel between Islands

I'd agree with everyone above, air travel is the way to go. I would also have to agree that Kauai may be a better option unless there is something specific that you want to see on Oahu.

Volcanoes National Park is great, and the Kona area will be great if you're coffee buffs. Although, Kauai has a great coffee plantation as well. I've just written a blog on all of the areas if you're interested it's located at http://www.travelvulture.com/blog.html . Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best way to travel between Islands

Sorry travelvulture, as of March the Kauai coffee has a long, long way to go get anywhere near either Kona or even Maui coffee!!

Mentioned in this post
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
405 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,453 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best way to travel between Islands

Mamma, I beg to differ. Kaua`i coffee is much more mellow than Kona. I prefer it. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The best way to travel between Islands

And I thought I was a "homer", PZP....

It is a good thing all you Kauai-lovers think so highly of it, or the fledgeling industry would fall flat.

It consistently rates fourth best among the islands behind BI,Maui and Molokai.

You just gots to have higher elevations to get the best.

And watch out for Oahu.

The new plantation at Maunawili is now open to tours, and the brew is fantastic; currently sold almost exclusively at Neiman Marcus in Ala Moana (pretty high praise indeed).

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Molokai
Molokai
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel