We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enjoying Hawaii at home

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,403 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
Enjoying Hawaii at home

After a recent thread about reliving our vacations by watching Hawaii 5-0, I wondered what others do to keep Hawaii near when they can’t be on their favorite island. Here are my obsessions; what are yours?

I get Kona coffee delivered to my home monthly. Including shipping, the $26.00 per pound of 100% Kona coffee direct from the grower is less than $1.00/cup.

My guest room has tropical bedding, Hawaii posters, and many photos we took of flowers and waterfalls from our visits.

When I need to send a gift, forget Edible Arrangements; I send gift baskets from Take Home Maui, Island Princess Macadamia Nut Popcorn, and Island Soap and Candle Works products. When the family is all home at the holidays, I have the goodies shipped here so we can all enjoy (perfect pineapple in December – the best).

I landscaped around my deck with yellow hibiscus and white, pink & magenta plumeria. Tucked among the plants are outdoor speakers playing Hawaiian music that I spent hours choosing from iTunes. Ahh, almost like a resort.

And, yeah, I watch H50 for the scenery.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,198 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enjoying Hawaii at home

Don't forget Big Island Candies!

I have collected and framed some very nice Hawaiian art over the past years. It's in storage right now, and I find that I really miss it!

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Enjoying Hawaii at home

ddffpp, I was just in Santa Monica at Shutters this past weekend. It isn't like you live in a bad part of the world to say the least! Some would enjoy keeping Santa Monica alive in their homes as much as Hawaii. You do live in a paradise as well :)

After reading your nice post I'm wondering what time check-in is at your resort.....lol Sounds pretty wonderful to me.

I have a couple Stever Barton paintings, but he is really a San Diego artist who sells a lot in Hawaii. Other than that, I guess I keep Hawaii alive by planning my next get-a-way. Headed there this weekend.

Forest Park...
Level Contributor
352 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enjoying Hawaii at home

Every morning I watch Hawaii News Now on my computer.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,444 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enjoying Hawaii at home

Listen to IZ cd's.

Make Kalua Pork in the crock pot once a month.

Wear Aloha shirts every Friday for casual dress day at work.

Plan our next trip even if it is five years in the making.

Send Mac Nut Pies from the BI to friends and family.

Tune into KPOA online every Friday at Noon my time to listen to "It's Aloha Friday".

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enjoying Hawaii at home

I listen to Hawaiian rainbow radio - http://www.hawaiianrainbow.com & I am also studying the language (not doing very well). Now, I'm counting down until our next trip in March!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,065 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enjoying Hawaii at home

Aloha kaua e Elaine.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,519 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enjoying Hawaii at home

Gee - how about at work more than at home?? An office filled with calendar, post cards, photos, and artwork? Hawaiian music is often on, either cd's or radio channels . . . and of course, what feeds this more than hanging on Tripadvisor's Hawaii forums?!! Well, and booking that next trip helps too. :)

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,182 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Enjoying Hawaii at home

I'm fortunate (I guess) to live in SoCal so I have Plumeria (blooming like crazy) White Butterfly Ginger (not blooming) and Banana trees in my backyard. Last year I re-did our home office with a Hawaiian theme with a Kauai calendar, a fishbowl full of shells, Kani of Hawaii Tiles, monkeypod bowl, etc and a sketch of Kalihiwai Beach by our friend Shantybob (from this forum). I also cook Kalua Pork in the crock pot, use Lawry's Hawaiian Marinade on pork chops & chicken. My computer desktop is a photo of Anahola Beach (Kauai). I have lots of books, mostly novels set in Hawaii (haven't quite read them all). I have a ton of Hawaiian music, mostly IZ on my computer, listen to it all the time. We've only been back from Kauai a week tonight, so I'm in severe withdrawal. My hubby & I just now split a Bud Chelada beer (read my TR, we had one everyday from the Wainiha General Store).

And the most important thing is to read and post on the Hawaii and mostly Kauai forums. Good trip reports make me feel like I'm right there!

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 22 September 2011, 22:08
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,235 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Enjoying Hawaii at home

I look out the window....

Ocean, beach, mountains and city panorama from every room,

And let the trades envelop me like a sweet smelling, cooling, velvet blanket.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,519 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Enjoying Hawaii at home

Okay - someone want to share that crockpot recipe with me?? I don't eat much pork, but I do love that stuff and it would be a treat to do that once in a while. Mahalo! :)