We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Hawaii in 2012, any all-inclusive hotels around

Lawrence...
1 post
Save Topic
Traveling to Hawaii in 2012, any all-inclusive hotels around

I would like to take a trip with my husband to Hawaii around april or may 2012. I have couple of questions:

1) Is there any all-inclusive hotels?

2) Where is the best island to stay?

3) Is it best to stay in a resort or a hotel?

Best Seller
Molokini and Turtle Arches Snorkeling...
170 Reviews
from US$110.55*
Best Seller
Turtle Canyon Snorkel Cruise by...
225 Reviews
from US$96.75*
Paradise Cove Luau
994 Reviews
from US$97.00*
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Hawaii in 2012, any all-inclusive hotels around

There is no best island. :)

All islands are fantastic!

A good thing about Hawaii is that you don't need an all inclusive as restaurants are one of the best parts of traveling to the state.

Hotel vs. Resort is as personal a decision as red vs. Black convertibles!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,765 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Hawaii in 2012, any all-inclusive hotels around

The only all-inclusive in Hawaii is the Travaasa in Hana on Maui. The reason there are so few is that Hawaii isn't like some non-US vacation sites where you stay in a compound. Hawaii is a State; people rent cars and DIY tour the island they are on.

Most first time visitors to Hawaii who have at least 10 nights stay on Oahu and either Kauai or Maui.

This site has aerials and reviews of almost every lodging in Hawaii: www.wizardpub.com

I suggest you look in the upper right margin on this page to read the "Summaries of the Islands". Another quick read is "Hawaii for Dummies", part of the Dummies series on so many topics. It will help you choose which island or islands appeal most to you.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,203 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Hawaii in 2012, any all-inclusive hotels around

There is only one A-I and it hasn't been an A-I very long. It's in Hana ... very isolated on Maui and very expen$ive!

No such thing as a "best" island. It all depends on your preferences.

Hotel or resort - not really an issue. On Waikiki, you'll find more hotels. On Maui - more resorts. Very simply put - it depends on the amount of available land.

SO -

Determine how many nights you will be in Hawaii. If 10 or more, consider two islands. An Oahu/Maui pairing is popular with first-timers.

Determine a nightly accomodations budget ... and we can help you with questions about resorts/hotels.

Know that you will need a car for any of the major islands. Within Honolulu, you can take the bus if you want.

What do you want to do? Water sports? beach time? historic sites? shop? restaurants? natural wonders? hike?

Pick-up a copy of the travel guide "Hawaii for Dummies" (forgive the title) and a good map of the Hawaiian Islands. www.gohawaii.com may be helpful as well.

Please understand that Hawaii is not the Caribbean ...

One more thing: avoid the week before and the week after Easter.

Edited: 25 September 2011, 19:13
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Hawaii in 2012, any all-inclusive hotels around

I agree with all the responses, particularly that all of your questions can only be answered by you as they are highly dependent on your personal preferences, travel style, budget, etc.

Maui is my least favorite island. It's many travelers' favorite. It has the widest variety of nice beaches and accommodation (particularly budget condos and hotels), and good restauarants. If you like to surf, you'll prefer Oahu for it's variety all year. Oahu also has a large city,excellent shopping,

good hiking. If you like diving and snorkeling, the Big Island is best, and it

also has Volcanoes National Park with excellent hiking and sometimes lava

viewing. Kauai is considered by many to be the most beautiful island. It has dramatic valleys and is lush, floral and green with many waterfalls and rivers. It has excellent hiking, a gorgeous canyon, and some beautiful smaller beaches. It is a small island, very laid back, and many

areas get a lot of rain. Water sports are not as good on this island. Lanai is very small with only a few hotels, two of which are gorgeous Four Seasons properties, one a cool piney lodge, the other a beautiful beach resort. Snorkeling, diving, swimming, hiking, and taking rental Jeeps to deserted beaches are highlights here. Molokai is Old Hawaii. There are usually no hotels running, but you can find rental houses and maybe other options. Great deserted beaches, snorkeling, hiking. No tourist infrastructure really so it's not very popular although there was a rental car place there last I was there.

As someone who doesn't like crowds, condos, or traffic, I prefer the islands of Kauai and Lanai as well as my home island of Hawaii. Combining two of those, assuming you have at least ten days, will give you a good mix of beach, water, hiking, and cultural opportunity.

5. Re: Traveling to Hawaii in 2012, any all-inclusive hotels around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 11:20