We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island to visit next?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Which Island to visit next?

I have been to Maui twice, Oahu twice and Lanai once. Thinking of going to Kauai but worried there isn't enough to do for activities. The Big Island seems to have a lack of sandy beaches. Molokai is much rainier (from what I could observe from Maui) and too quiet. Where on Kauai and Big Island are the areas that are most affordable / have the best weather? MUST be able to snorkel in safe waters. Hiking is not an option due to mobility issues with my traveling companion. We want beach, water, sunshine. Suggestions?

Big Island Volcanoes, Waterfalls...
372 reviews
from US$182.30*
Best Seller
Turtle Canyon Snorkel Cruise by...
122 reviews
from US$96.75*
Best Seller
Oahu Grand Circle Island Day Tour...
667 reviews
from US$80.31*
Paradise Cove Luau
956 reviews
from US$97.00*
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
902 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Island to visit next?

From my searching I would say BI.

It has lots of things to check out.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,815 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Island to visit next?

Go to Kauai's north shore during the summer. Nothing in Hawaii compares!! What kind of activities are you interested in?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Island to visit next?

Safe & calm water for snorkeling depends on entirely when you come. Both Kauai and the Big Island offer lots to do, but how much driving do you like? It does take more time and more driving to really see & experience the Big island. I love both these islands, though Kauai is my favorite. I am with msfuzz - there is nothing like the northshore of Kauai in the summer!! :)

Varennes, Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Island to visit next?

In my opinion, Kauai is the best. It you want great snorkel, you have to go in summer though. Many beaches on the north shore offer some great snorkelling right offgthe shore, like Tunnels Beach. Northern Kauai is more rainy thyan the south, but it is also way more lusciously green.

The Na Pali coast is an absolute must, depending on your travelling companion, you can explore it by helicopter or boat. Helicopter is more expensive of course, and goes by more quickly than a boat trip, but seeing the island from a bird's eye view is pretty amazing. By boat, you have more time.

You can also see Waimea Canyon and Kalalau Valley by car, where many vista points are easily accessible by wheelchairs.

So I say, Kauai all the way. In my opinion, it's the most beautiful island. It's the Hawaii you see on postcard pictures.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,697 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Island to visit next?

Aloha,

I also think Kauai is a special place.

Tropical, great beaches, wonderfull drives.

The island is small enough that you can do a lot, drive times are nice.

You wont be bored on Kauai,

Aloha

Edited: 20 December 2011, 03:26
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Island to visit next?

Thanks for the feedback. Is it true there are sharks swimming up the Wailua river? Concerned about tubing... and keeping my feet! :)

Edited: 15 January 2012, 06:00
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Island to visit next?

Another vote for kauai! We just spent 8 days there and we have to go back cuz we have soo much left to do! Just enjoying the scenery could take up to a week. What time of year are you going? I fyou love to snorkel Imust say the kauai is not the best island for this...BI wins that one hands down. But there is decent snorkeling I hear on the Norht Shore at Tunnels 9hope to find out first hand later this year) Thereis okay snorkeling in the south at safe beaches. I don't recall hering anything about sharks (dnagerous ones anyway) in the Wailua river...maybe others can comment on this? the tubing ride is on a water ditch somewhere...hear its not a "must do" but very relaxing. have fun planning your trip wherever it takes you :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Island to visit next?

I have heard about sharks up the Wailua river . . . mostly where river meets ocean, because you never know what goodies maybe be floating down. :) That is why people are told to avoid snorkeling near water areas entering the ocean - greater shark activity. However, I have never heard of any one having shark issues on the rivers in Kauai. :)

9. Re: Which Island to visit next?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2013, 10:16