We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitors, dates mid Sept., 11 day trip?? Help??

Independence...
4 posts
Save Topic
First time visitors, dates mid Sept., 11 day trip?? Help??

It's our 25th wedding anniversary, we need input on what to do. My husband doesnt care where we go but Hawaii is on my bucket list. We want to see beautiful sites, relax and I would love to see Pearl Harbor and think he would like that too. I have heard so much and am not sure where to begin. We are not wealthy and would need a payment plan I think. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitors, dates mid Sept., 11 day trip?? Help??

Hawaii is the perfect venue for a 25th anniversary! Congratulations on reaching this milestone.

Research the islands on TA and go on Amazon and look at the choices of books on the islands. A book, downloaded or the old fashioned style, will also give you a lot of wonderful information.

As to a payment plan I'm not sure how to direct you. I would suggest starting a fund and put $ away on a regular basis until you have enough saved up for the trip. Then again, I've never been one for debt that isn't income producing.

Good luck with your planning stages.

Happy 25th

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitors, dates mid Sept., 11 day trip?? Help??

With 11 days you could visit either one or two islands. Lots of folks fly into Honolulu and stay there for 3 or 4 days to visit Pearl Harbor and other fun and beautiful sites on Oahu before flying to Hawaii, Maui or Kaua'i for the rest of the time. Depending on where you fly in from, it is often possible to fly directly into Honolulu to start your trip, and out of Kahului, Maui at the end of your stay if you want to reduce time in airports.

Our first visit was for our honeymoon and that's what we did - Oahu for a few days and Maui for the rest. Our upcoming visit is for our 25th anniversary, too, and we are going to spend the full 2 weeks on Kaua'i because that island has stolen our hearts. We have also been fortunate enough to have taken several trips to Maui and the Big Island, and have enjoyed every island for its uniqueness as well as their commonalities.

If you can give us more details about what would make a great vacation for you, we will be able to be more specific in our assistance. There are also many, many sources of info within this TA site to help you decide which island(s) would suit you best. And a book such as "Hawaii for Dummies" or an island-specific guidebook would be great help.

Independence...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitors, dates mid Sept., 11 day trip?? Help??

Thank you so much! I want to be able to see things at our own pace, and I'd love to stay where I could look right out the ocean. My husband is not crowd friendly so a car rental for us as opposed to public tours and transportation would be best. We're really very easy to please. I want to do it all but know we don't have the funds. Thank you again for replying :)

4. Re: First time visitors, dates mid Sept., 11 day trip?? Help??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 January 2012, 14:39
Edited: 18 January 2012, 14:39
Independence...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitors, dates mid Sept., 11 day trip?? Help??

Thank you!!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,659 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visitors, dates mid Sept., 11 day trip?? Help??

Kathy, you can definitely do Hawaii on a budget. I would suggest 2 islands -- maybe Oahu and Maui. Maybe 3-4 days on Oahu and the balance on Maui. Fly into one and out of the other (from the mainland) and then you'll have only 1 interisland flight to buy.

A condo will be less expensive overall than a hotel, since you can do your own breakfast and some other meals in. Maybe do a hotel on Oahu to get the experience and then rent a condo for the week on Maui.

The Mahana is one building on Maui that is all oceanfront -- amazing views and in a quieter part of the beach. The Kahana area has some very reasonable options, as does Kihei.

People here recommend "Hawaii for Dummies" ... Maybe get that and see what you want to do/where you want to go and we can help more!

When we go to Hawaii, if we aren't staying with friends, we get a condo, take a collapsible cooler, and do breakfasts in (mostly) and most of our lunches on the beach or in a park. We pick a few key places to eat and the rest of the time cook fresh fish and fresh veggies from the farmstands and markets. Saves money, and we still get to eat at the places we most want to.

It is heaven! You will love it!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,892 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visitors, dates mid Sept., 11 day trip?? Help??

Maui is pretty expensive in general, especially for beachfront property. Kaua`i might suit you better. Lots of great things to do here for free.

I second the idea of getting a condo to save money. Nothing quite like coffee on your lanai in the morning.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,158 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visitors, dates mid Sept., 11 day trip?? Help??

I think about 3 days on Oahu and then 7 on Kauai would give you a good contrast of islands and both would be easier on your budget. Once you decide what specific islands, I would then post on those island forums for the best help in regard to lodging, car rentals, etc. Have fun with your planning! :)

9. Re: First time visitors, dates mid Sept., 11 day trip?? Help??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2013, 10:30