We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Dream Trip!

North Arlington...
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Topic
Our Dream Trip!

We've been racking up frequent flier miles and have decided to plan a trip to Hawaii. We have never been and don't know where to even begin! When's the best time? Which island? How long to stay? etc, etc, etc......

ANY info would be greatly appreciated. HELP!!!

Mentioned in this post
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,060 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Dream Trip!

Wonderful - nothing like a dream trip to Hawaii. But before people here can help you, we need to know a few things . . . who all is coming - couple or family? Nightly lodging budget - condo, hotel, house?? What time of year and for how long? I would say a minimum stay is a week . . but if you can stay longer, you have more options. Activities you enjoy? The more details, the better.

www.gohawaii.com gives a good overview for all the islands and often recommended is the guidebook, Hawaii for Dummies. Happy planning! :)

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,379 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Dream Trip!

I agree with getting an overview of the islands, then select whatever appeals to you. We all have our favorites!

If you are booking with miles you'll have to start looking to see what is available. I enjoy going to at least 2 islands on my trip. One week per island or at least 5 days per island - anything less is not worth it because you'll spend too much of your vacation at airports.

Get a book like Fodor's or Frommer's for a very nice overview on each island.

I would chose Oahu and Kauai! Have fun planning!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,049 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Dream Trip!

There is more to see & do on Oahu than any other island.

However, if your FF miles include flights to any other island, I think I would choose Island of Hawaii, Maui or Kauai.

This is because you can get back to Oahu much cheaper in the future.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Dream Trip!

Which island? - KAUAI, but I'm very biased!

How long - forever would not be too long for me! I look at it this way, airfare costs a lot, might as well make the most of it - we stay & eat cheaper, so we can stay longer.

Here's a little quiz that might help you into the right island:

http://tinyurl.com/4lklt

3Chihuahuas

5. Re: Our Dream Trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2013, 09:31