We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying on different islands

MA
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Staying on different islands

Hello everyone,

I posted earlier about going to Hawaii for the first time next year (late April/early may). It will be for our honeymoon. We are planning to go for 10 days. I wanted to get others opinions about staying at several hotels/resorts; like 3 days each on 3 different islands. My thinking is then we could get a taste of all the diifferent islands, get some night life, some solitude, different beaches, etc.

Does this seem like a good idea? Or would it best to just pick one place and stay there the whole time?

Thanks for any help or opinions!

Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying on different islands

This is a bad idea in my opinion. Each time you switch islands you lose an entire day. First, you have to pack. Next you have to check out of your hotel. Then you have to drive to the airport to return your rental car. Then, it's security checks at the airport and the time you wait before your plane takes off. Once you arrive on another island you have to wait for your bags, get another rental car, drive to your hotel, check in, unpack, etc. So, your 10 day vacation just got cut by 3 days that you lose....time you could be spending ENJOYING paradise! At the very most, I would maybe hit 2 islands, but even with that, you can find 10 days of things to do on any one island. We have been visiting the Hawaiian Islands for many, many years. We always pick just one when we go. We have been to Maui, Oahu, Kauai and the Big Island. Doing it this way gives you an excuse for a return visit for an anniversary, birthday, other special occasion, or to bring the kids back someday. We started going to Hawaii before we were married and then took our kids many times over the years. Now they are grown up and we go by ourselves again!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying on different islands

It depends on if / when you plan to return to hawaii. At a minimum, I would say do 2 islands during your 10 days. If this is a once in a lifetime trip - or one you don't think you would make that often, 3 islands is not unreasonable.

You will lose some time traveling - but its not a whole day especially if you plan it right

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying on different islands

p - you really should read the other threads on this forum - all your questions have been covered many, many, many times - including the subject of where to honeymoon w no kids...

MA
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying on different islands

Well if these forums allowed you to search; I would have done that. I'm not click on and read every discussion thread.

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying on different islands

We did a 9 day trip to Hawaii last March and went to Kauai for 4 days, and the Big Island for 5. We loved the Big Island so much (and it is so much bigger) that we had lots of things left on our "to do" list, so had to go back and try to do some of them over Christmas--spent 15 days and still have more on our next "to do" list. Flying from a small town in Oregon takes us most of the day to get anywhere, so the trip solely to the Big Island did save us some of the inter-island travel times. There are, however, lots of inter-island flights, so you can get from one island to another and probably only lose about 1/2 day. We recommend both Kauai and the Big Island--they do not have much for big city/nightlife kinds of entertainment, but the scenic beauty and opportunities for swimming, snorkeling, hiking, sightseeing and solitude abound. Whichever island(s) you pick, the guidebooks written by Andrew Doughty and Harriett Friedman (Hawaii--The Big Island Revealed--The Ultimate Guidebook--, or Kauai Revealed...) would be an excellent resource. Happy honeymoon planning! When you decide on an island(s), post an inquiry and we will be glad to help if we can--we have had two special trips to Hawaii so far, and I am proud to say I planned both of them just off the Net--pretty good for an amateur, if I may say so myself. The weather even really cooperated with us, although I don't suppose I should try to take credit for that. Anyway, have fun planning this--it will help make the cold winter months easier to bear...