We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Maui or Kauia?

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Maui or Kauia?

Me an my fiancé are getting married at the end of June and wanting to do Hawaii for our honeymoon. We have a budget of $5000 and want to stay for either a week and a half or two weeks. We are wondering which island is best suited for us. We're not really into the nightclub scene. We want a nice relaxing trip, but would love to go on some adventures as well. Any advice?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,254 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Maui or Kauia?

This June? Do you have your airfare booked and does that $5000 budget include the flights? Kauai is quieter than Maui - both have lots of activities and adventures - all depends on what you like to do. If you have 2 weeks, you could do two islands, though costs do add up as you would need to plan on interisland flights as well as car rentals on each island. What type of lodging are you looking for - cottage, condo, hotel? If you decide on Kauai, stay on the northshore in June - gorgeous! :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Maui or Kauia?

Please tell me that the $5000 budget does not include airfare, PLEASE!! We have no idea where you are coming from so we are in the dark! We really need some more info from you! What is your nightly budget? What are you looking to do or explore?

Go buy the book "Hawaii for Dummies", yes a sorry title, but if you take the tests it will help you decide.

Do decide soon and get a car rented ASAP. You need a car everywhere but Waikiki on Oahu.

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Maui or Kauia?

Our budget is $5000 including airfare which right now we could get for a total of $1200 round trip. That leaves us with $3800 and we have a little bit of flexibility. We would like to stay at a nicer resort maybe around $250/night) for a few nights, maybe 3 or 4 and find a cheaper place on Vacation Rental By Owner the rest of the time, ideally a place that's about $125/night. We love hikes, exploring towns, and basically anything adventurous (snorkeling, surfing, etc.). I think we'd want to stick with one island because of time and expense.

Edited: 28 March 2012, 02:36
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,254 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Maui or Kauia?

You will find Kauai to have a bit more budget lodging. Don't forget to factor in the car rental costs. Book that early as well:

http://www.aloharents.com/

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Once you decide what island, I would post on that specific forum for help with your lodging, activities, etc. Good luck! :)

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
679 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Maui or Kauia?

Relax all is good.

You can do both. Maui and Kauai for well under $5,000.00 even in June. I did it last year in July.

They will package all flights and hotels together for real cheap.

Go to beachdestinations.com and fly into Maui and then to Kauai. Split your vacation in two. Both great islands, but I prefer Kauai. I think you will like Kauai better too.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
679 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Maui or Kauia?

In fact I just went to beachdestinations.com and did the island hopping from Maui to Kauai from June 4 to June 19, 7 night in Maui and 7 night in Kauai for just $3545.40 for two. Delta AIrlines non stop both ways, staying at Maui coast Hotel in Maui and Islander on the Beach in Kauai.

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Maui or Kauia?

Thank you so much for the advice. How did you like those two hotels? Would you recommend both of them?

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
679 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Maui or Kauia?

I am of the mentality that when in Hawaii you should spend as little time in your hotel as possible.

Both are good but not top shelf places to stay. I really liked the Islander, but it is not luxurious.Get an partial or full ocean view at the islander and you will like it. the islander's pool is not that great. Same goes for the Maui coast hotel.

When you book through beachdestinations.com you can upgrade to the top notch 5 star places, for more coin though.

Kauai is the island of discovery, dont waste any time at the hotel, go out and explore.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,978 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in Maui or Kauia?

Are you a Costco member? They have great travel deals.

Personally I like Kauai better than Maui, but Maui is probably the better value.

I'd also probably price things out individually using HotWire, Priceline, etc.

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauaerials.html

www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in Maui or Kauia?

I'm not a Costco member but am getting a membership soon. What kind of travel deals does Costco have?