We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary question - i'm driving myself crazy! help!

Allentown...
Level Contributor
47 posts
564 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary question - i'm driving myself crazy! help!

We are flying in and out of Oahu. May 21, returning June 4. So 14 nights. It seems like a lot of time, but there is so much to do and see. I am currently thinking of staying 3 nights in Waikiki because we have to do Pearl Harbor, and the first night will be a blur.

I then anticipated flying to the Big Island and dividing the stay between the east and west sides. But people keep telling me i have to see Maui, it is so beautiful. I hate the idea of packing and unpacking so much.

Is there any sense in doing a daytrip to Maui from the Big island?? Or should I plan to stay in Maui for 2 or 3 days so that we could do the road to Hana (which seems like the big thing to do) and spend a day at a white sand beach.

We want to be able to have some adventures, but not run ourselves ragged with "must see, must do". On the other hand, my guess is this is going to be our only trip to Hawaii, so I should make the most of it. Sorry for rambling, but as you could read, I need advice from people who have been there! Thanks in advance.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary question - i'm driving myself crazy! help!

There are no white sand beaches in Hawaii. They are golden in color, however there are some red, black, green and salt and pepper colored sand beaches in Hawaii.

Some people don't do the road to Hana...I wouldn't classify it as the thing to do on Maui, but it is certainly an activity that many partake in.

I would only do the 2 islands you currently have planned and spend a couple of days exploring VNP.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,615 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary question - i'm driving myself crazy! help!

Easy there. :-) Your original plan is good. A day trip from BI to Maui is not feasible, as you will probably have to go to Honolulu and backtrack to Maui, which will eat up a lot of time.

Do plan to spend at least a day outside of Waikiki. You'll be amazed at the difference between there and the rest of the island. It's not all city.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary question - i'm driving myself crazy! help!

I agree if you don't want to feel rushed your plan of sticking to 2 islands is good. The Big Island is big and there is a lot to see and do there so if you want a good mix of relaxing and sightseeing without feeling rushed I think sticking to the 2 islands is what I would do. If it were me I might stay 4-5 nights Oahu and 9-10 on Big Island. I'm afraid with only 3 nights on Oahu you will feel like you are packing up and moving as soon as you get there (especially with arriving from east coast on first night). Also if you are interested in getting out of Waikiki and driving around to the North Shore that will give you another day to be able to do that! There is so much to do and see on every island, I'm afraid if you do Maui too you will feel a bit rushed on every island with 14 days and won't get the relaxation time you are wanting. Enjoy your trip!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary question - i'm driving myself crazy! help!

Anothe vote for sticking to your original plan; 3 nights on Oahu and the rest on the Big Island.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,654 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary question - i'm driving myself crazy! help!

What part is set in stone? Just your flights in and out of HNL?

My advice to people with 14 nights in Hawaii is that they could stay on three islands -- or TWO islands if one is Big Island and they want to enjoy both sides of the island.

My DH and I have spent two to four weeks on each of the four major islands over 30+ years of visiting Hawaii. You could have a wonderful time right on Oahu -- with just a daytrip or overnight to VNP, if that's your main interest on Big Island. (*I* would sty longer and enjoy the whole island, given the time and expense involved in getting there and back.)

MOST first-time visitors to Hawaii with enough time stay on Oahu plus either Maui or Kauai. SOME stay on just one island! Maybe you need to explore exactly what appeals to you about each of the islands before you book flights and lodgings -- and rental cars.

As for this being your only trip...ha-ha-ha! You'll be back!

Allentown...
Level Contributor
47 posts
564 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary question - i'm driving myself crazy! help!

thanks so much for all of your quick replies, and thoughfulness. The only thing booked is air, diirect, nonstop from newark to honolulu for only $700, which i though was phenomenal. And the three nights in waikiki at an ilikai condo...i dont think i could extend that to four at this point. I definitely want to do more on the big island than vnp.....and this forum has given me so many wonderful ideas, i don't know why i even bought guidebooks!

Seriously, thanks. Now, after researching and researching about where to stay on the big island, i think i will just bite the bullet and make some decisions.

7. Re: itinerary question - i'm driving myself crazy! help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2013, 10:20