We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island?

Michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which Island?

I want to visit Hawaii in June and am not sure which island to go with! I want great beaches and a lot of outdoor activities. I would like to go kayaking, hiking, and snorkeling. I am not intrested in shopping or nightlife. Which island has the best beaches?

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Island?

Depending on how much time you have for your trip, you could consider an island or two. We have spent 9 days in Hawaii (4 on Kauai and 5 on the Big Island) and also 15 on the Big Island--both were wonderful trips for us. We could also have spent all 9 days on Kauai. Kauai is a small island, not nearly as much as driving as on the Big Island, and both have wonderful kayaking, hiking and snorkeling available. Poipu Beach on Kauai is rated as one of the top ten beaches in the world according to several travel shows, and has excellent swimming and snorkeling opportunities. We have kayaked and snorkeled at Kealakekua Bay on the Big Island and it is fabulous. The Place of Refuge nearby is also a wonderful place to visit, and snorkeling nearby is very good. An advantage of the Big Island is that it has Volcanoes National Park and there are many excellent hiking opportunities there. The Big Island also has several black sand beaches and a green sand beach. While we have not yet traveled to any other islands, these two were both beyond our expectations for beauty and fun adventures. When you choose an island or two, inquire again and we will help if we can with more specific info. (You are wise to begin planning now--some accommodations become more difficult to reserve if left too late). Have fun doing your preliminary research!