We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any secluded all inclusive resorts in Hawaii?

a m
ohio
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Any secluded all inclusive resorts in Hawaii?

My husband and I are looking to travel to Hawaii this summer. We are looking for an all inclusive, couples only, honeymoon kind of resort. Do they have them in Hawaii? I am having difficulty finding something like this searching forums and travel sites.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for reading.

allayne99

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,571 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any secluded all inclusive resorts in Hawaii?

Short answer - no.

There is only currently one all inclusive in all of Hawaii and it is in Hana on the island of Maui. It is not a real all inclusive as it does not include adult beverages. It is not couples only. Pretty much anything Hawaii is good for a honeymoon but if you are looking for secluded or couples only there pretty much is none, Hawaii in general is a family destination and summer time when school is out is kids time. Having said that there are some really nice properties. I am wondering if one of the Four Seasons on Lanai might fit your bill but I guess it really depends on what you plan on doing activity wise while in Hawaii.

Edited: 09 April 2012, 13:13
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,042 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any secluded all inclusive resorts in Hawaii?

The only other one was washed away when the tsunami hit last year. Most hotels have the, ever present, little kids but some have tried to compensate by having adult pools. It used to be you could travel in the months when little kids were in school and not run into them, but people now bring toddlers and babies to Hawaii.

I stayed in the Makena Resort, once, in south Wailea (Maui) and it was all adults, but it could have been a coincidence. It feels secluded and the beach that fronts the property is very secluded, especially in the morning. There are several restaurants on site, so you don't have to drive after drinks with dinner. For a non-condo stay, it was my favorite,

LA
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Any secluded all inclusive resorts in Hawaii?

Travaasa Hana is as close to AI as you currently get.

Hawaii doesn't really do AI, as it is safe to get out and around and people like to rent cars and explore.

Four Seasons on Lanai is also fairly secluded, although not AI by any means. Four Seasons Hualalai on Hawaii and Four Seasons on Maui are also top hotels for honeymooners. There are also some very exclusive private villas at some of the top resorts, but you will pay. The Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel has a large private villa with 24-hour butler service. It used to be $7000 a night. Don't know what it is currently.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,735 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any secluded all inclusive resorts in Hawaii?

There a small market for A-I in the *State* of Hawaii. All-inclusives are often in poor countries where visitors stay in 'compounds', separate from the locals.

Hawaii has good public health and safety and good public roads. Visitors rent cars and drive off for DIY sightseeing of tropical wonders. There is a wide choice of lodgings and free-standing restaurants. Most visitors do not want to be tied to a single hotel property.

However...if you do want to 'stay put', you can choose to do so. There are first-rate hotels on all four major islands, and on Lanai. Tell us what you want, when you'll visit, and your lodging budget; we'll suggest places.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,616 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any secluded all inclusive resorts in Hawaii?

I guess the question is do you want to visit Hawaii -- meaning get out and enjoy what it has to offer -- or do you want a stay-put, honeymoon type spot like you'd find in the Caribbean or Mexico? If you want the latter, I would look in the Caribbean and save Hawaii for a trip when you are ready to get out and enjoy ... Hawaii does have some awesome resorts but the real benefit of going there is that you can experience the place ... not just one resort.

Neither is a bad option -- there are some fab places in the Caribbean and if you prefer to just veg out, maybe that's what you need this time.

a m
ohio
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any secluded all inclusive resorts in Hawaii?

Thanks so much for everyone's reply. I am sorry I was vague with my question. My husband and I are travelling for our first time to Hawaii (Probably going to be our trip of a lifetime) . We are looking for a secluded quiet place to stay for several days but do still want to do the "tourist" sites, see volcanoes, walk the famous beaches etc.

I am very much a Hawaii novice so I apologize for sounding stupid in asking for a "resort".

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,735 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any secluded all inclusive resorts in Hawaii?

You didn't sound 'stupid'! We just need more information to help you fine-tune where you want to stay.

Tell us when you plan to visit; how long you can stay; what your lodging budget is; whether you want hotels or condos or a combination. Are you more interested in city or rural? Nightlife important? OK renting a car? (Necessary everywhere outside Honolulu.)

You will find the widest choice of nonstop flights on good aircraft (767's and 330's) to HNL. You can relax and rest up in MANY fine resort hotels -- on any of the four major islands -- including Oahu.

My DH and I fly into HNL every January and just float through the airport, going on to Maui without leaving airport security, but then, we've 'done' Oahu before; there may be things you want to see and do on Oahu.

So... tell us more about you and we'll suggest options.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any secluded all inclusive resorts in Hawaii?

Your question is a common on from people who have stayed in the Caribbean or Mexico - where it is best not to leave the resort on your own. So no problem!

You need to familiarize yourself with the Islands first. Pick up a copy of Hawaii for Dummies (yellow book series) and a good map of the Hawaiian Islands. Figure out how many nights you'll have in Hawaii - and take it from there. Generally, a five-night minimum for the major islands is a good place to start. You don't want to consume your vacation in airports hopping too much. Develop a hotel budget per night ... and start checking out your options.

Summer is high season for family vacations, and that means kids. If you want to wait until fall ... the prices, availability and "kid-ratio" goes down. But even if you come in the summer, we can steer you away from some of the kid-magnet resorts/hotels.

Know that you will need to rent a car.

a m
ohio
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any secluded all inclusive resorts in Hawaii?

We can travel anytime early/mid summer. Our dates are very flexible within June/July. I am a librarian at a high school so I'm free the end of May but wouldn't want to wish my summer away waiting for an August vacation! (smile). I want to be able to walk along Waikiki beach once (I don't necessarily want to stay there but do want to walk it for my 88 year old grandma who used to go often). We are also somewhat flexible both on how long to stay and hotel budget. Would really really like to steer clear of "kid" friendly areas or hotels/condos.

Does this information help? I cannot thank you all enough for taking the time to help me!

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any secluded all inclusive resorts in Hawaii?

Sorry, allayne99 ... not really much help. I would go as early in June as I could - which means you really need to get a move on. You need to pick dates and snag a flight. How many nights you have truly dictates where in Hawaii you have time to go - and your nightly budget will determine where you will stay.

Hawaii is kid-friendly.

Edited: 09 April 2012, 17:22