We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island

Maple Valley, WA
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Which Island

I know this has probably been asked a billion times so I apolgize in advance if this is a repeat (feel free to point me in the right direction)

I am a little confused on where we should go. We have a toddler, 2 teens and the grandparents going. We love excursions and want to see the sights (vocanoes, waterfalls, ditch rafting, swim with turtles, whale watching, snorkel are on our list of must do's) but also love the resorts and relaxing by the pool. We prefer a condo so we can cook at home at times. Any ideas on which island is best for us? Was looking at Kauai Waipouli Bech condos because I know my kids would LOVE the pools but I want to be on an island where we don't need to be at the resort too ;) For some reason Maui doesn't appeal to me but maybe it's the right island for us? please help... looking at wanting to go in Feb.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,510 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Island

So you are going in February - how long do you have for this vacation? What is your budget? How important are shopping, restaurants, etc? Do you want a more rural experience? Or do you need a bit of night life? These are things that factor in the difference for each island. The only island with an active volcano is the Big Island (and you can't always see live lava flow), but I am not sure I would recommend that for a first visit to the islands.

There is a great summary of the islands on the right hand side of this page. I would recommend reading a bit about each island as well. And if you share a few more details, I am sure others will chime in with suggestions, though we all do have our favorite islands. :)

Maple Valley, WA
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Island

Thanks! I will look at that now. I like nightlife but it isn't a make or break deal for us. I want rural but also don't want to bore the kids. If that makes sense. We also love lazy rivers so any of those would make the kids that are scared of the ocean happy :D

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,510 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Island

If you like any kind of nightlife, then Oahu or Maui are the islands for you - the other islands are very rural. All depends how long you have for your vacation - with a week, you can do one island. :)

Canada
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Island

Here is a little quiz that might prove helpful

www.hawaiigaga.com/best-hawaiian-island.aspx

Agree with coalminer...What is your length of stay?....and nightly accommodation budget? Are you looking for a 3 bedroom condo?

Some additional details should assist in obtaining a variety of suggestions for you.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,021 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Island

What is it about Maui that doesn't appeal to you? What kind of volcano experience are you looking for?

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
603 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Island

I just took the quiz and it sent me to my perfect Island of Kauai, I knew that place was perfect.

Try the quiz and have your teens take it maybe that will help you decide.

Maple Valley, WA
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Island

For some reason none of these were showing up until now (for me).

I think we have it narrowed down to Kauai for 4 nights and Maui for 5. And the Waipouli Beach Resort and Honua Kai. Thoughts? I really want to whale watch so I'm narrowing down units now but think I have them ready too.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,021 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Island

The Honua Kai will be wonderful for your whole family. Do your whale watching from Maui as they have the largest concentration of humpback whales in the islands.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,391 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Island

I would not move all these people around between islands when you only have a little over one week in Hawaii.

If you are coming in February, just stay Maui, not only because it is whale season, but because the most beautiful northern portion of Kauai will be rainy and windy. There is nothing special about Kapaa -- there's not even a beach there.

I'd just set up home base in ONE place on Maui. It doesn't really make sense to stock a condo for less than a week anyway.

Reserve your rental car now.

10. Re: Which Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:18