We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian airlines interline baggage policy change 5/1/12

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaiian airlines interline baggage policy change 5/1/12

FYI according to the Hawaiian air website, they will no longer interline bags unless the flights are on the same PNR (record locator).

…hawaiianair.com/app/…codeshare

So essentially if you are like me, who books separate tickets on Delta and Hawaiian, I will now need to pick up my bags in Honolulu and recheck them. i.e. Flying back from Kauai to Honolulu to Atlanta, I will now need to pick up the bags in Honolulu and recheck them on Delta. A big hassle and very customer unfriendly move. No Aloha spirit at all. This has been confirmed by several posters on flyertalk as well. I encourage everyone to write complaint emails/letters to Hawaiian Airlines.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian airlines interline baggage policy change 5/1/12

Wow.......probably a sign of things to come with other airlines too, if it hasn't already. Evidently these baggage fees are a huge moneymaker for the airlines and they lose out when your bags are interlined (if they are not the first carrier). For me, HA has been steadily losing it's Aloha spirit for sometime.

Count me in as one who will write to HA.

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
37,009 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian airlines interline baggage policy change 5/1/12

Just more reasons not to fly HA.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian airlines interline baggage policy change 5/1/12

I agree, I will no longer fly Hawaiian I this policy is true. I will fly direct to the outer islands on Delta or use Island Air for interisland travel.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian airlines interline baggage policy change 5/1/12

Just checked ATL-LIH on Delta for mid-June: $1,235 r/t.

ATL-HNL is $971 Buying tickets on a code share basis to LIH prices out at $132 (each way). HNL-LIH. Same date/route, purchased from Hawaiian direct is showing 90 bucks, but that's not the end of it: there will also be checked baggage fees at Delta (etc.) AND Hawaiian.

When finished protesting with Hawaiian, it might not be a bad idea to contact Southwest & tell them how much it would be appreciated if they were to (finally) enter the Hawaii market.

P.S. Island Air, especially when the new ATR-72's come on stream is definitely looking better & better...and I don't believe they've outsourced their call center to the Phillipines.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian airlines interline baggage policy change 5/1/12

Southwest will enter the Hawaii market within the next 1-2 years and with Alaska airlines rapid expansion to the outer islands, this makes this move even more puzzling. Hawaiian is making it harder to fly interisland when they should be making it easier!! An extremely poorly thought out decision by HA.

California
Level Contributor
37,009 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian airlines interline baggage policy change 5/1/12

Like I mentioned on the Kauai forum.... It might be aloha to Hawaiian like we said to "Aloha"...

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian airlines interline baggage policy change 5/1/12

Hawaiian is expanding. New routes from Japan and China. They won't need us lowly peons anyway!!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian airlines interline baggage policy change 5/1/12

Solution: travel with only carry-ons.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian airlines interline baggage policy change 5/1/12

Pzp, for the majority of visitors (many of whom are families) to Hawaii who travel for 10-14 days or longer, carryons only is not a feasible solution.

p a
unict
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian airlines interline baggage policy change 5/1/12

Too bad. And inconvenient. It's pretty hard to avoid HA for interisland flights.