We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island?

USA
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which Island?

I'm sure this has been asked many times. We are hoping to make a trip (maybe 9-10 days) and were looking at the different islands. As seen by my moniker, my kids like Disney (even though they are in their 20's). I saw a Disney resort in Oahu. Pricey, but has anyone tried it? We are going for the beaches, scenery and mainly just to relax and enjoy that area. Not really into hiking or surfing or such. We were thinking of maybe Oahu, Kauai, and Maui. Is that doable in 9 days? Any suggestions?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,630 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Island?

Three islands in 9 days is not a good idea. Pick two at the most.

Yes Disney has a resort on Oahu, it is brand new. You can read the reviews here on TA.

Might want to start with the book (bad name, good book) Hawaii for dummies.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,464 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Island?

In 10 days you CAN do 2 islands...3 islands means too much time in airports. Read the reviews on Aulani. If you are a Disney freak you will probably love it! HA

USA
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Island?

Good to know. 3 islands is too much. YOu read my mind, the bookstore is my next stop. Was wondering which guide you all recommended. I like the Dummies series also, will look for that one.

I have read some of the reviews on the Aulani Resort. Most seem to be good, but expensive.

I guess the choice would be between Kauai and Maui. We were in Maui about 30 years ago and loved it. But I heard that it is more commercialized now. Which would be the best for beautiful beaches and scenery and just plain "chillin"?

USA
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Island?

Bill,

I just took your test you posted on another old post in answer to which island?? My results came out Maui and Oahu. That was a neat little quiz. Thanks!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,630 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Island?

Most welcome. It is a handy quick way to help decide. Any island is a good choice IMHO but each has a little something unique to offer visitors.

p a
unict
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Island?

Try to add another couple of days so you can spend time on Oahu and Maui both.

Frommer's is a good travel guide book.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,229 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Island?

I would say to do 3 days in Oahu and then come to Kauai for a week . . . staying on the northshore. Stunningly gorgeous, undeveloped and very laid back. :)

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Island?

Take a look at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu. Reminds me of Disney, but in a more laid back, good way. Fronts a fun beach and within walking distance to LOADS of interesting and fun things to do. A lot cheaper than the Aulani and not secluded.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,052 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Island?

Aulani woul never command those prices without the Disney name. It's pretty much'nowhere -- as opposed to lively Waikiki. It's just a resort -- no Disney parklike stuff going on. If you want to stay out there, Ko Olina is a better choice -- but I'd send you to Waikiki, with a possible second stop up north at Turtle Bay. There is so much to see and do on Oahu without spending time and money hopping to a second island!

You could also spend the whole time on Maui or Kauai. We like a nonstop on a widebody plane into HNL, but we just float through the airport and go on to OGG. (Have to do it that way, lacking nonstops to OGG on 'our' airline.)

USA
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Island?

Hmm, lots of good suggestions. We are restricted from work so can't take a longer vacation.

For Aulani, there are not Hawaiian luaus with Disney people?

I"m just starting this planning, which is late, so I have to learn a lot very quickly. Thanks for all of your help!