We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Hawaii the right destination for me??

Barakaldo
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is Hawaii the right destination for me??

Hello,

I want to visit hawaii this summer but I am not sure if it is exactly what I am waiting for.

I know that there are incredible views, beaches and nature but I need to visit tipical villages, towns, meet people...

I have seen a lot of photos of Hawaii (Kauai, Ohau and Maui) but I only find photos of landscapes, beaches, forest, mountains.... I don´t find photos of typical villages with small shops, restaurants...

Do you know what I mean??

Thanks a lot

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Hawaii the right destination for me??

Cook Islands sounds more like what you are looking for.

Barakaldo
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Hawaii the right destination for me??

I´ve never heard about Cook Islands

I´m going to look for information about them

What I mean is that I want to see people and where they live, and where they buy, where they eat... and with beautifull "small" towns (not like Honolulu)

Thanks a lot Kiawahbeth

Barakaldo
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Hawaii the right destination for me??

I´ve seen some photos and it´s also incredible

The problem is the flight price. From Madrid, it´s about 2400USD return ticket, and for Hawaii it´s "just" 1100USD.

The difference is very high, I can´t pay that difference.

What I mean is that I don´t want my holidays to lay on the beach, to rest and get tan. What I want is to visit places, see nature, tipical towns..

The idea is to rent a van with another couple and visit a lot of places

Thank you

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
548 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Hawaii the right destination for me??

There lots of small towns to see in The Hawaiin Islands. They are just not displayed as much because they are not as striking as the scenery is. On Mauai think of Hana and the Road to Hana as dotted with tiny towns and taro fields. Old Lahaina the old whaling center which now has a lot of shopping. Also on Maui the tiny town of Wailuku where we stayed in a B&B has old churches and little museums.

On the big island of Hawaii the Waimea area is famous for the Parker Ranch and has a ranching flavor to it..

Almost all ok Kauai has a small town feel to it if you get,out of the main resort areas of Lihue, Poipu and the Princeville condos. Hanapepe still a big farming center for coffee and taro. Hanalei has quaint little shops and restaurants.

If you look off the beaten path you will see remnants of old Hawaii almost everywhere except maybe Oahu. But today's Hawaiians are a diverse people many are retirees and transplants that have come for the scenery and the outdoor activities like scuba and surfing They lead modern lifestyles shop at Supermarkets, live in suburbs.

There Are a lot of ancient Hawaaian historical sites in the islands sights of battles, human sacrifice, birthing rituals, petroglyphs.

But remember. There economy is Driven by tourism so you will find a lot catering to the typical tourist :resorts, condos, produced luauas

coconut drinks. As well as The dive and snorkel shops and charters to take people fishing, scuba etc. this is how they make their today.

As well as routine careers like teacher, nurse plumber,gardener etc

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Hawaii the right destination for me??

Honolulu is an atypical big city in all of Hawaii. The typical is small towns, dotted around the different Hawaiian islands. So if your dream is to rent a minivan and drive around, you can do on each island, even on Oahu, where Honolulu is located. Just realize many of these small towns cater to tourists and their wants and needs, so most may not be isolated and full of the type of local flavor you are seeking.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,178 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Hawaii the right destination for me??

Hawaii is a state in the good ole US...lots of small towns on each island but no "quaint native villages" to speak of outside of the Disneyfied PCC on Oahu.

Gorgeous scenery, wonderful people and places to visit but hardly a rustic adventure.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Hawaii the right destination for me??

You are giving the impression you are looking for something that no longer exists. Towns in Hawaii aren't all that different from towns anywhere else in the USA. I have a suggestion though....

Look at community activities in Hawaii and pick a time to visit when you can participate. The Koloa Plantation Days on Kauai in July are a fabulous time to mix and mingle. There's a tremendous parade followed by a community celebration in the park. You'll have a day of dancing, singlng, comedy, local food, you name it. In early August, after Plantation Days, there is a great Tahitian dance festival in Kapaa. Other islands have similar celebrations. Farmer's markets and arts/crafts festivals happen all the time.

Historic Hawaii requires research. The museums, such as Bishop's on Oahu, are great. You can find interesting sites and shrines the average tourist misses. Just build your list before you go.

Bottom line is there is much to see and do along the lines you are seeking, but you had best prepare beforehand. The bulk of the tourists are doing the more typical things you appear to want to avoid. But that is where the $$$ are, and that's the focus of the tourism industry.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Hawaii the right destination for me??

I want to visit hawaii this summer but I am not sure if it is exactly what I am waiting for.

======

I dont think it is, without access to a time machine.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Hawaii the right destination for me??

Joe, start your own thread, asking questions in the general "Hawaii" forum or read a book called "Hawaii For Dummies" or dozens of other travel books available from Frommers, Fodor, Lonely Planet, etc. Another way, and in my opinion the BEST way to find out if a place is right for you, is to read trip reports on the various Hawaiian islands (Maui, Oahu, Kauai, Big Island, Lanai, Molokai) forums. Just go to that forum and type 'trip report' in the search box. Read what other travelers to those islands have done during their stay. It gives you a very good idea of what there is to see and do.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,957 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Hawaii the right destination for me??

Ah . . . Hanalei is that perfect small town in Hawaii to me! :)