We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

We are in Hawaii at the moment and we couldn't help not get annoyed with all the tipping signs and notes that hotels ask their costumers to do.

It is either that :

Hotels are very cheeky

Hotels don't pay their employees well (it annoys me that it's not what we expect from a 400dollar a night hotel when they should be paying their staff more seeing as we already are paying an awful lot)

Tipping should only be to reward a service for having done the extra mile and beyond . It's not a right.

Even on main land USA . It's disgusting how they add the gratuity on the final bill .

I will only tip if I think they deserve it . It's not a god given right to get 18% tip .

I read somewhere that minimum wage doesn't apply to some jobs so therefore they rely on tips! How appalling ! Breach of human rights that is ! What a way of keeping and making the rich richer and the poor working class in the bottom. It annoys me that the USA is the first one critising other countries if they breached human rights --when they don't care about the rights of their own citizens !

Rant over !

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

<<When in Rome, do as the Romans do

Meaning

It is polite, and possibly also advantageous, to abide by the customs of a society when one is a visitor.>>

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Take a deep breath and get back to enjoying Hawaii....

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

Hotels are very cheeky

> Hotels aren't necessarily "cheeky" - many visitors come from countries/cultures where tipping is not part of their vocabulary and need to be reminded that they are in a country where it is expected depending on the level of service you receive. Personally, I've never seen "tipping" signs posted in hotels other than the tip jar at the coffee stand.

Hotels don't pay their employees well ...

>You are dead right on the hotels not paying their lower staff very well. Manual labor jobs like the cleaning crew are definitely unappreciated.

Tipping should only be to reward a service for having done the extra mile and beyond...

>If the system were set up so that the workers were paid fairly, tipping should be for exceptional service. However, its not, so if you find yourself in a system where the workers are not paid fairly - please tip.

It's disgusting how they add the gratuity on the final bill ...

>In general, in the US gratuities are only added for larger parties of customers. Again, its the system in place so you just have to abide by it. However, if the server is completely incompetent, let the manager know before you have a melt down when the check is presented.

I will only tip if I think they deserve it...

>Fair enough. Its your wallet. Just keep in mind that most US servers deserve it for providing basic services like keeping your drink filled, taking your order correctly, etc. Unlike their European cousins, their base paycheck is significantly lower.

I read somewhere that minimum wage doesn't apply to some jobs so therefore they rely on tips!

>Sorry. Wrong.

From the US Dept of Labor -

"If an employee’s tips combined with the employer’s direct (or cash) wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the minimum hourly wage of $7.25 per hour, the employer must make up the difference."

If a server fails to make enough money to equal the current minimum wage their employer must make up the difference.

This is just my opinion BUT I think you need to go to a cheaper hotel and spend the difference in price on tipping the workers. They'll be happy to get a tip & give you great service which would make you happy - all for the same price.

Just out of curiousity - what hotel are you staying at that has tipping signs posted everywhere? I really have never seen that in all my trips.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

If you didn't know the tipping customs before you came, perhaps you should have done a bit more research. It's the custom in this country, try to get over it.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

Msfuz I could not agree more with you -what gets me is, it is what it is-no body is going to change it. The other point is,it is the same story in major European cities too, take for example London, most restaurants add an 18% service charge then, leave the total open with a line for adding tips. The tour bus drivers actually solicit tips, the bell person, the door keepers all wit out until they are tipped.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
871 posts
906 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

Whenever I consider eating at a restaurant, I consider the cost of the meal that I might order; then, I add 15-20% to that amount (for tipping); then, I add another 10% to that amount (for tax). If the total is more than I'm willing to spend for a meal, I look to dine elsewhere. Yes, it's a pain to have to do so much calculation just to decide on a restaurant.

Unfortunately, the restaurant industry in the US does get away without paying at least minimum wage to their wait staff. As far as I know, the hotel industry does not get away with this.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

You guys are missing the point.

Tip is expected in most of the countries in the word. In the USA it seems that employers use it to pay for their employees. The employers use tipping to help to pay the 'minimum wage' rather than use as a reward for these hard working people.

From the US Dept of Labor -

"If an employee’s tips combined with the employer’s direct (or cash) wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the minimum hourly wage of $7.25 per hour, the employer must make up the difference."

So that means any extra tips aren't really tips , they are there to make up for the shortfall and we (the client) is having to pay for the employees the wages directly which is ridiculous. This is why the employer makes a big fuss on their menus and forces the tip on the final bill calling it pre tip and tip ....

Tip is a reward for the employee, not a way for the employer to pay the wages for his employees! So essentially, the more we tip the less the employer has to pay their employee until they cross the threshold of minimum wage, therefore making the rich richer and the people in the bottom stay there.

The argument that that's how it works does not make it right .

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

even Thailand and Philipines are adding 10% nowadays for service with the space to add even more tip, still you can get away with a 400 dollar dinner some places with a 10$ tip in SE Asia. sweet yeah.

anyways its hard for us to feel for you now that are US$ sucks so bad. visiting Euro is painful from 10 years ago when it was two to one in favor of the $. just have to go with it, it wont change. I'd rather tip at my own discretion as well but like someone stated, It is what it is. drink the pain away, normal bar tip from me is a $ a beer.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

the point is NOT THE TIPPING!

The point is that these people are paid under minimum wage and tips have to pay the difference . It is stealing from the employee's hands!!!

It is immoral! Can't you not see that ?!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

I see your point and have to agree somewhat. Thing is, this is a travel site for those wishing to find out where to stay, eat, explore etc. It's not a forum for political discussions (which this is) and is prohibited by TA