We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

feedback for my itinerary

na
6 posts
Save Topic
feedback for my itinerary

I'm planing to spend up to 15 days on 3 islands for my honeymoon. The plan is described below:

Day 1: morning flight from San Francisco to Honolulu. Afternoon- dinner and going around Waikiki area.

Day 2: driving south to Diamond head --> Hanauma Bay--> China man’s hat --> Pali lookout --> Vally of temples --> Kualoa Ranch (jungle expedition tour) --> back to Honolulu

Day 3: driving to the North shore and Waimea falls park. Early afternoon- Polynesian culture center.

Day 4: going around Honolulu- downtown, Chinatown, Iolanai palace, capitol state, Manoa falls trail.

Evening flight to Kauai

Day 5: Driving to Waimea Canyon state park. Waimea Canyon Lookout, Pele Lookout. Kokee national park.

Day 6: Kauai North Shore: Morning sail to Napali Coast. Kee beach, Limahuli Garden (1.5 hours). Hanelei Valley lookout, lighthouse

Day 7: Opaekaa falls. Wailua falls. Smith’s tropical paradise- take a river tour of 1.5 hours to Fern Grutto. Driving to the south via tree tunnel (road 50). Stopping at spouting horn, national botanical gardens, Allerton garden.

Evening flight to Maui

Day 8 : Driving to Haleakala national park early in the morning. A short hike. On way back- Upcountry Maui: Makawao. If more time is left : Kula botanical gardens, Ulupalakua, Tropical plantation.

Day 9- Iao Valley state park . Complete visit in upcountry from the previous day

Day 10- Morning wale watching sail (2 hours). Going around Lahaina. Kaanapali Beach. In the evening- Old Lahaina Luau

Day 11- Road to Hana. Spend a night in Hana

Day 12: Garden of Eden Arboretum and Botanical Garden near Hana. Pools of Oeho, Pipiwai Trail. Way back to Lahaina

Day 13: flight back

Is that a good plan?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: feedback for my itinerary

It's OK, I guess. I would pare it back to two islands. It's tough, I know ... but it sounds like your itinerary is right out of a travel guidebook. Nothing really wrong with that ... it's just ... when are you going to chill out and enjoy Hawaii? It's not a race.

Choose two islands and cut your nights in half.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,630 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: feedback for my itinerary

It's good to have a *plan*, but maybe you wouldn't actually DO all of that point-to-point sightseeing or all of those excursions? In some cases you are doing a lot of back-tracking, day after day, and some days (Like Day 7) you are trying to cover too much territory.

You don't have to do *everything* on each island. I'd spend 'city time' in Honolulu. Save snorkeling (and the luau) for Maui. For instance, if you are visiting Kauai, do you need heavily tropical Hana or the "Jungle" tour or falls on Oahu? (Or maybe you skip Kauai?)

When will you be in Hawaii? Is any of this booked yet? Is your home near San Francisco? (No need to be coy. lol)

LA
Level Contributor
9,934 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: feedback for my itinerary

That's not my style. Far too much time in the car. Far too little time enjoying the beaches and the water.

I don't see much relaxation and fun. It seems like a checklist of tourist sites all run together. Many places that will be full of other tourists, rather than time to meander and find your own private Hawaii.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
635 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: feedback for my itinerary

To each their own, but it sounds like my first Hawaii trip which was Oahu and Big Island in one week. It was a blur.

Since then we spend our weeks (usually eight nights) on one island each and are enjoying it SO much more!

So for your time frame (twelve nights), I'd pare it down to two islands. Especially for a honeymoon, I think you'll want less airport and car time and more chill time.

I do think if you include Maui and the road to Hana, the decision to stay over night there is a fantastic one! I love Hana.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: feedback for my itinerary

Exhausting IMO. I agree with PareoB, not enough time to "chill". Two islands max for the time you are there. Hawaii is not about seeing everything but absorbing the mana. My advice is to do Maui and Kauai and plan to do half of what you have listed. Then play it by ear. It's not a military exercise. Relax you are on your honeymoon....

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,265 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: feedback for my itinerary

Please stick to two islands! You will be driving by a whole bunch of things but not really "seeing" any of them! I don't even see much time for sleep in that schedule.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: feedback for my itinerary

I agree, you are trying to do way way too much. I don't see any downtime in your itinerary and especially for your honeymoon you will almost definitely need some time to relax after the wedding. For our honeymoon we went to three islands in 16 almost 17 nights and once we got there we ended up canceling or deciding not to do at least 1 to 2 major activities on each island because it was simply too much.

Also, you will spend lots and lots of time driving in your current itinerary and I think you will be really exhausted and sick of driving by the end of your trip. I think you need to majorly pare down your activities and limit it to the few things you really want to see this trip balanced with relaxation time. Don't feel like you have to cram everything in, you will enjoy yourself much more if you allow yourself some time to just relax.

LA
Level Contributor
9,934 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: feedback for my itinerary

Just re-reading your itinerary is exhausting.

It appears you have not really done much research on how much time some of these activities take, nor are you allowing any time for meals between activities. O r chosing rather plastic-y activities (Polynesian Cultural Center?)

Days 6 and 7 sound particularly bad. Evidenty you will have a stopwatch to make sure you don't exceed your alloted time.

Does your future spouse actually want to spend a honeymoon like this? I'd be furious if my husband had planned a honeymoon like this. No shopping, no lazy days.

One island too many. Too many activities to check places off a list. Not enough couple time together.

na
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: feedback for my itinerary

reading your comments I have changed a little bit the plan and added more days:

Day 1: morning flight from San Francisco to Honolulu. Afternoon- dinner and going around Waikiki area.

Day 2: driving South shore: Diamond head --> Hanauma Bay --> China man’s hat --> Pali lookout --> Vally of temples --> back to Honolulu

Day 3: driving to the North shore and Waimea falls park. Kualoa Ranch

Day 4: Polynesian culture center.

Day 5: going around Honolulu- downtown, Chinatown, Iolanai palace, capitol state, Manoa falls trail. Evening flight to Kauai

Day 6: Driving to Waimea Canyon state park. Waimea Canyon Lookout, Pele Lookout. Kokee National park.

Day 7: Kee beach, Limahuli Garden (1.5 hours). Hanelei Valley lookout. If time is left- Napali coast dinner sunset cruise.

Day 8: Opaekaa falls. Wailua falls. Smith’s tropical paradise- take a river tour of 1.5 hours to Fern Grutto.

Day 9: Driving to the south via tree tunnel (road 50). Stopping at spouting horn, national botanical gardens, Allerton garden. Evening flight to Maui

Day 10 : Driving to Haleakala national park early in the morning. A short hike. On way back- Upcountry Maui: Makawao. If more time is left : Kula botanical gardens, Ulupalakua, Tropical plantation.

Day 11- Iao Valley state park . Complete visit in upcountry from the previous day

Day 12- Morning wale watching sail (2 hours). Going around Lahaina. Kaanapali Beach. In the evening- Old Lahaina Luau

Day 13- Road to Hana. Spend a night in Hana

Day 14: Garden of Eden Arboretum and Botanical Garden near Hana. Pools of Oeho, Pipiwai Trail. Way back to Lahaina

Day 15: flight back

how is that now?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,609 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: feedback for my itinerary

When are you coming? Are you staying on the north shore?

Day 6: Did you plan to do some hiking at Koke`e/Waimea Canyon?

Day 7: The Hanalei Valley lookout is about a 5 minute stop. If you're coming before October or after April you should have time for a cruise out of Hanalei. Otherwise, Stop at the lookout, do Limahuli, and end up spending the afternoon at Ke`e.

Day 8: The falls will take maybe an hour including drive time. I'd skip the Fern Grotto unless you really want to take the time for a long, slow float up the Wailua. You can see it from the Opaeka`a Falls lookout.

Day 9: Be aware that you need reservations for Allerton Gardens.

You're missing the Kilauea Light, a spectacular place even if you only go to the lookout outside the reserve. I'd spend a bit of time in Hanalei, maybe lunch and kicking around a bit.