We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fashion question??

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Fashion question??

Do you wear white in Hawaii in October?

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Level Contributor
9,440 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fashion question??

Of course...why not?

The old "No white after Labor Day"....is a 60's thing IMO

Fashion/ Style is certainly an individual thing...but just about anything goes.....within reason

.Hawaii features a casual fashion style ...with a smart influence at times.

Mentioned in this post
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,718 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fashion question??

I had to laugh. I ironed my white pants to wear tomorrow, thinking this will be the last time, Labor Day is around the bend!! lol I am a child from the 60's..

White is good year round in the tropics...

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,775 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fashion question??

I too am a child of the 60's but I was of the thought that I really didn't care what others thought about what I wore. Pretty much still don't!! Plenty of white in Hawaii year round.

Mentioned in this post
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,912 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fashion question??

Yes, and we're VERY casual. No stockings or heels.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fashion question??

Hawaii's not the Midwest.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fashion question??

I don't wear white any time of year here. Shows the dirt too much. I prefer pastels and neutrals over white. You can wear whatever color you like in Hawai'i, which is great.

I still love black and plenty of people wear it here too.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,087 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fashion question??

Many locals in Hawaii do follow 'seasons'. We're waltzing around in shorts during our Jan. - Feb. visits while locals are wearing jeans and light sweatshirts or sweaters. I don't see locals wearing white shoes then either -- but who cares?

Mentioned in this post
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,950 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fashion question??

This question is a good one - and was asked about a year ago. I was in Hawaii, and just started paying better attention. That's how I remember.

SO - yes, some wear white in Hawaii. Is it prevalent? No. Is it year- round? Yes. Is is practical? Well, I don't think so dirt-wise.

Visitors wear whatever summer clothes they bring: light cottons, breathable fabrics ... and color is great!

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: Fashion question??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2013, 10:16